Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 AM

Default Advice: portable mic - for use with pro-tools

I have a MacBook pro with a rack 003 that I use as my static recording setup.

I use a Zoom H4N for a portable recorder, eg: put it on the desk and strum a guitar ,to get stuff down when needed.

I've been thinking about if it was possible to do this with pro-tools and my mac.

I used to have an old mac with an mbox2 and a firewire disk which was a ball ache as I'd carry the mbox2, the mac, the mic the disk, the power supplies,

but with things getting better and pro-tools 11 on a really high spec MacBook pro, I wonder if there is any way to use pro-tools on the internal disk and also record to the internal disk (removing the need for an additional disk) and some sort of USB mic, so I don't have to buy an mbox, and then carry an mbox and mic.

Even better - could I use the H4N as an input ? for pro-tools ?

I'm not talking about professional recording, just getting ideas down that I can then play around with in pro-tools before recording properly.

thoughts and advice welcome.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Advice: portable mic - for use with pro-tools

Quote:
Even better - could I use the H4N as an input ? for pro-tools ?
no
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro-...dware-checker/

Quote:
but with things getting better and pro-tools 11 on a really high spec MacBook pro, I wonder if there is any way to use pro-tools on the internal disk and also record to the internal disk (removing the need for an additional disk)
no recommended but for 1 track scratch recording you should be OK

Quote:
and some sort of USB mic, so I don't have to buy an mbox, and then carry an mbox and mic.
a) you will need your iLok v2
b) should work but I don't have any recommendations

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig