Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM

Default A llittle confused (audio drive and transfer drive)....

hi everyone

i'm taking a protools basics class and we're using pt8 on macs

i have an external hd that i take to save my files, but when my teacher was going over opening the Workspace window and clicking on a wav file too "calculate elastic yada yada yada", i noticed i couldn't do anything from my hard drive.
it had a "T" next to the drive icon, indicating that it's a transfer drive (it's FAT32).
so i just had to end up putting the file on the desktop then locating it from there.

the thing i'm confused on is, what's the difference between an audio drive and transfer drive?

i mean... don't they BOTH transfer? =/
what can one do that the other can't?

also
i will be using macs extensively, but i also have a pc and i know will sometimes have to load files i started on my mac to my pc.

how would i then have to format my external drive so that i can record sessions on a mac AND pc?

do i still format using Mac OS Extended?

thanks everyone
Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 AM

Default Re: A llittle confused (audio drive and transfer drive)....

T, aka transfer drive is only for transferring files, so obviously you won't work from them.
A, aka audio drive is capable of reading writing, so everything. This is how pro tools is built up.
I use T drives as safety drives. Just for load in an old session for example, but I can be sure about that it won't be altered in any way.
Tamas Dragon
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMODE101 View Post
hi everyone
i will be using macs extensively, but i also have a pc and i know will sometimes have to load files i started on my mac to my pc.

how would i then have to format my external drive so that i can record sessions on a mac AND pc?

do i still format using Mac OS Extended?
thanks everyone
If you install Pro Tools on your windows machine, there is an option to install a driver that will allow you to access and use Extended Journal OSX External drives. I did this in bootcamp on my macbook so not necessarily to use pro tools but to use the driver that allows me to access any mac files I want from inside of windows. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM

thanks guys =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numi View Post
If you install Pro Tools on your windows machine, there is an option to install a driver that will allow you to access and use Extended Journal OSX External drives.
So does that mean that I have to always make sure someone's pc has that "Mac Extended" driver installed?

Hhhhmmm.... ok

Well, should I still format my drive using "Mac OS Extended" then?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM

just my opinion,but i would buy a lacie d2 hardrive because it will format on your mac drive and also give you the option to make a 20 gig tranfer to pc partion.so in essence if you knew you were going to a friends house you put the files on the pc partition and all is well.saves lots of headaches and they are so cheap.the hardrive comes with the utility already on it so when you first plug into mac you will be guided through setup process.hope this helps
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios