Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 08-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Time Shift to change tempo???

I need to up the tempo of a 3 minute stereo pair audio file of a mix from 120 BPM to 155 BPM. Will Time Shift do this? If not, any other suggestions? I run a three card Mix24 TDM system on PT 6.4.1 for PC. Thanks.

Delwin
Old 08-23-2006, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Time Shift to change tempo???

That is a pretty drastic shift, and I would expect there to be serious changes and/or artifacts in the sound with any [admittedly older] program I have ever heard of or used, unless some company has made a successful algorithm (program) to compensate for those differences in a musically acceptable way.

Even if such a thing exists, you may discover that the musical structure doesn't work with that much change, just compositionally (e.g., a bass line/keyboard background that sounds fine at 120 is likely to sound much too thick or busy at 155).
Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Time Shift to change tempo???

Hi,

the only app I've encountered that can do any kind of drastic changes without too audible artifacts is Prosoniq's Timefactory. Version 2 lets you also do dynamic changes to pitch, tempo and formant.

The drawback is, you have to have a separate soundcard if running Pro Tools at the same time.

BR,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR