Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-15-2005, 12:28 AM

Default host A=Protools,host B=adobe premiere:How to sync?

Hi

I am trying to do the soundtrack for a little movie and i would like to know the best way to integrate audio edition and video edition.
First, I was thinking that just importing the movie in Protools (via Movie > Import Movie) and editing audio would be ok. But i then realize that I will need to edit the video (shorten some sequence) too.

1/ Is it possible to sync (via midi or spdif) a protools host (with digi002R) with a host that run Adobe Premiere Pro ?

2/ Some other solutions for audio edition (protools) and video edition ?

Tks a lot
Old 04-15-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: host A=Protools,host B=adobe premiere:How to sync?

i looked for a solution for this for quite a while. i was hoping that there was a way to slave premiere to protools and have it chase but there wasnt one, at least with 6.5 (i think that was the version) we ended up slaving an old beta deck we bought from a local television station to our protools system with a motu digital timepeice as the master clock. works beautifully actually. protools feeds the muto dtp midi (timecode and commands) and translates to smpte which the beta chases. the only problem is that you have to wait for the beta deck to shuttle/jog to where ever your cursor is. not a huge problem but it starts bringing back the headaches from ADATS and analog tape decks. a really cool solution is VirtualVTR made by Gallery. just take an old mac, buy a cheap usb midi port, install virtual VTR and it'll act like a non-linear video deck that will chase your protools system. beautiful.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: host A=Protools,host B=adobe premiere:How to sync?

first...you don't want to work like that. First finish the video. Then do your audio. In that order. No other. Otherwise you will loose your mind.

In Premiere you can have a lot of audiotracks. set it up so you dont have any crossfades on the same track. They all must be alternating. Then export them as .wav-files in their original samplerate, and import those in ptle. Since you exported every track it will all be matched up. Now do your audio-thing, and bounce the audio back to the quicktime or avi.

When you or someone else realizes there has to be changes made, treat it as a seperate project

Bastiaan