Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Jump to the next frame at playback stop

Hi,

I have a referenced mac system comprising an HD OMNI / SYNC HD / AJA GEN 10 / AJA LHI. I have recently updated AJA LHI driver from 13.0.6 to 15.0.1, mainly for better performance/reliability in my editing software co-installed on the same system.

Everything seems to run fine except that when I stop playback in PT, I've almost always a jump to the next frame during the next second at the end of playback . I didn't have this behavior previously. I do not see any discrepancies between timecode in the video and in PT. I have also performed a basic sync check (with CatchinSync) and everything seems to be aligned when playing.

Is it a normal behavior (frame edge alignment at the end of the playback) ?

Thanks!

Last edited by damien78; 01-14-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Jump to the next frame at playback stop

Hi,

I don't have an AJA card but this usually happens when you work in slip-mode. PT will stop and then depending on where between two frames you stopped re-park the picture to the nearest edge while the audio cursor is parked exactly where you stopped. When you switch to grid, PT will always stop on the frame edge and not make that jump after you hit stop.

At least that's how it works on my machine.

So: not a bug, more a feature.

F.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 AM

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your answer.

It was what I also suspected, but whatever mode - including the grid mode - I'm working with, I can see this behavior. Moreover there is always a small lag (half a second ??) between the stop and the jump to the next frame.

I cannot spot any actual issue, but it makes me feel a bit nervous about my sync, since I didn't observed that jump with previous drivers.

I will probably contact Avid/AJA support to make sure it is a normal edge alignment process.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:10 AM

Whatever it is, it's not happening on my setup (see below) the lag in slip before the picture jumps is minimal. Instantaneous I'd say. It stops and immediately re-parks on the next frame edge. No lag.
You didn't say what version of PT you're using, so my guess it's because of the AJA driver since it wasn't the case before. But just guessing here...

If your sync is OK in play, there's nothing to worry about really.

F.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM

I updated to last version 2018.12 with old AJA drivers. No jump. Then I updated to AJA 15.0.1 and then noticed this behavior.

But you are probably right, and should not worry since I have no specific problem.