Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 06:19 AM

Default newbie digi002r output question

im still getting things set up in my studio and ive ran into an interesting problem. maybe its just that i still have no idea of what im doing, but im having issues with creating a headphone mix from an output (output 3 to be specific). the signal does come thru but i only get it in one ear (the left). i dont have a headphone amp, so maybe this is the problem? im currently running a snake return from output 3 and using the phones in the return. when i run my phones thru the normal headphone out they work fine, so i know its not the phones themselves. i need to be able to run it from the snake because my tracking room is pretty far away from my control room. the only thing i can think of is i need to have one channel for left and one for right, but wouldnt that cut my outputs in half?

please help! thanks in advance!
`pm
Old 09-16-2004, 06:24 AM

Default Re: newbie digi002r output question

You are serious are you? If you are...outputs are mono. To get the mix, you would need output 3 AND 4 and patch thru a headphone amp or some type of splitter to get both sides of the stereo signal. Just because a jack looks like it fits a headphone plug doesn't mean it is used for headphones
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 AM

hey...around page 416 or so of the 6.4 guide it says outputs can be used for headphone mixes, so how am i sposed to know? whats the advantage of all the outputs being mono anyway?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:59 AM

When they talk about using them for headphone mixes, they are talking about running them to something like this.

They are not headhone outputs.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-16-2004, 07:15 AM

Sorry for my grumpy repsonse to your first post. I've had my coffee and I feel better now. All outputs on equipment are mono so you can choose 2 ins or outs to be mono, or 6 to be 6.1 etc. Soundcard son compyuters don't have the flexibility so the output is just stereo.

In PT, the Ins and Outs correspond to the same ins and outs as the rack so you cna route mono by using one input, and stereo by using two.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-16-2004, 07:26 AM

Quote:
hey...around page 416 or so of the 6.4 guide it says outputs can be used for headphone mixes, so how am i sposed to know? whats the advantage of all the outputs being mono anyway?
The outputs are balanced mono TRS (which looks identical to a quarter inch headphone jack). Balanced connections are the industry standard for a few reasons, but in short, they allow for longer cable runs with less signal loss and are far better at rejecting radio frequency interference.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:48 AM

you need to do some reading on basic audio eg Balanced cables, plug types etc ... difference between balanced and a stereo plug is very important thing to know - you dont want to run the wrong cales into the wrong jacks as in ur case wondering why only one side is working in ur phones
most equipment manuals will give a basic explination of the plug that they use

for you phones go get a behringer headphone amp - cheep as chips and they work well

i would of thought that you would of got the signal in both but the right would of been out of phase, im missing sonthing meh just keep all the connections where they are ment to go and u wont have a problem
Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 AM

Quote:
i would of thought that you would of got the signal in both but the right would of been out of phase, im missing sonthing meh just keep all the connections where they are ment to go and u wont have a problem
That depends very heavily upon the design of the output...especially if it doesn't use a transformer to balance the circuit.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:44 AM

thanks guys. i had always planned to get a headphone amp, but im just too head over heels in debt with this system that anything over a dollar is long off. i just wanted to find some interim solution. im not running the headphones directly into the out as some of you seem to think. im running a snake return into that and then running the phones to the snake. maybe for the short term i could run another return to the analog 4 out and then get a splitter for the phones?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:51 AM

I don't reccomend that. The line level outputs of the digi hardware are not rated to drive headphones...you may do more harm than good doing it with a splitter to get stereo. I'd check around to see if any of your buds have a cheap mixer or multitrack or really anything with two line inputs and a headphone out. You could do it safely with a couple of cheap passive transformer based di's (or line level balancers) with no diodes or transistors run backwards of the normal signal flow and a y-cable.