Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Routing Falcon instruments to Pro Tools

Ok so I have Falcon up and running, enabled the soundbank and loaded a clav. It sounds great.

In the Audio & Midi Setup I can select the audio output. Available options are the mac speaker, straight to my audio interface (Metric Halo ULN8) or: Pro Tools Aggregate. I guess I have to select the latter so I did.

Then in PT I created a track, I had an instrument track but I suspect that was wrong. What kind of track should I create in PT to receive the Falcon signal? Guess that is the first step.

Note: On my UVI page under Getting Started it sais dl the manual but clicking on that link doesn't lead me to really dl; it only opens the manual (which is very limited) in another tab in Safari. So I'm affaid I will have to keep pulling your sleeves for a while.

I will check the tutorials tomorrow but I really have to install another computer for conveniently viewing them. And the machine is messed up drastically. I want to put Linux Ubuntu on that one to have an additional computer else it sucks.

So this will be my last question for a while I hope. I can find out some things by myself but here I am really stuck.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Routing Falcon instruments to Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallie View Post
Ok so I have Falcon up and running, enabled the soundbank and loaded a clav. It sounds great.

In the Audio & Midi Setup I can select the audio output. Available options are the mac speaker, straight to my audio interface (Metric Halo ULN8) or: Pro Tools Aggregate. I guess I have to select the latter so I did.

Then in PT I created a track, I had an instrument track but I suspect that was wrong. What kind of track should I create in PT to receive the Falcon signal? Guess that is the first step.

Note: On my UVI page under Getting Started it sais dl the manual but clicking on that link doesn't lead me to really dl; it only opens the manual (which is very limited) in another tab in Safari. So I'm affaid I will have to keep pulling your sleeves for a while.

I will check the tutorials tomorrow but I really have to install another computer for conveniently viewing them. And the machine is messed up drastically. I want to put Linux Ubuntu on that one to have an additional computer else it sucks.

So this will be my last question for a while I hope. I can find out some things by myself but here I am really stuck.
Use an instrument track. An inst track will send midi data to your VI and also receive audio output from the VI.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Use an instrument track. An inst track will send midi data to your VI and also receive audio output from the VI.
Thanks Lesbrunn. I'll try that tomorrow (1:30 am now). The tutorials make me drewl.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 AM

Got it. The trick is to not run Falcon simulteous with Pro Tools, like good old Rebirth and Reason (thatś where I went wrong). Instead you can just select Falcon in the instruments section in the insert-list in the mix window. as a plugin.

Each instance of Falcon (on each different PT instrument track) should have its part set on Master output. To my findings so far there's no using other Falcon outputs in this setup. Additional outputs apart from the Master fader are only to be used when Falcon runs standalone.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 AM

If you have one Falcon instrument track, you can have several MIDI, audio and aux tracks to set up several instruments in that one instance. Falcon has 16 additional stereo buses back to PT that you access for audio or aux tracks in the input selector for the track - it's under the Plug-in catagory. To send multiple MIDI channels you just create MIDI tracks output set to the instance of Falcon with separate channels in the MIDI track output selector. No need to have multiple instrument tracks with the additional overhead.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If you have one Falcon instrument track, you can have several MIDI, audio and aux tracks to set up several instruments in that one instance. Falcon has 16 additional stereo buses back to PT that you access for audio or aux tracks in the input selector for the track - it's under the Plug-in catagory. To send multiple MIDI channels you just create MIDI tracks output set to the instance of Falcon with separate channels in the MIDI track output selector. No need to have multiple instrument tracks with the additional overhead.
hey Chuck, thx for that explanation .. i use Kontakt and am curious to whether using One Instance over Multiple Instances of Falcon ... i do not find too much difference in K5 ...

thx john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-28-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Wait a minute that goes beyond my comprehension as of now. But thanks for the advice, I will puzzle that out tomorrow. Sounds like abracadabra for me, I will get back to this later. Sounds like handy though, more economic use.

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 AM

Some help here: https://www.groove3.com/uvi-training...lcon-Explained

Eli uses Logic, but all the examples can be applied in PT. I/O is I/O.

The G3 tutorials are well worth while and they happen to be having a sale. For $90 unlimited access to all videos for a year. Also plenty of stuff available on YouTube and the UVI site.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1