Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2003, 11:33 PM

Default Should I Change Platforms?

The more I see Windows XP the more I like it.
I am using an HD7 rig and an HD 3 system all the plugins that I use are available on XP. The new intel machines are very powerful. The whole OS X thing has got me down no more Samplecell / Masterlist CD. Plus the whole TDM Direct connect thing in OSX seems to be gone. RTAS Direct Connect plug-ins with TDM have not proven to stable for me. There seems to be a lot more otions for software and soft synths on XP. I know there are not a lot of TDM HD users but I see Windows machines getiing so fast the I am afraid that Mac's in a couple of years are going to be sucking wind. Since 2000 a Mac has gone from a 500 Mhz machine to a 1.4 Ghz machine in 3 years. I really think that MAc hardware devolopment is very slow. Should I switch? Or am I missing something here.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Should I Change Platforms?

if you are using tdm why bother about cpu.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:14 AM

Lots of Virtual instruments are not TDM. You still need a CPU for the software. Very few Direct Connect Plugins (PT6) are TDM.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:51 AM

You are missing one important point. Processor speed is marketing techno-babble, unless you thoroughly understand its application within the underlying technology.

The sales people have brainwashed the public in thinking processor speed is the only benchmark for computer performance. It is not. The speed rating is relevant only within the same chipset. So the difference between a Pentium IV 1.4gHz and a 2.3 is a quantifiable thing. Any comparison to another chipset (PIII, Anthon, G3, G4, etc.) is not so clear, and problematic. This is because it is not simply how fast, but in what manner data is handled that ultimately affects performance.

It is similar to audio manufacturers touting THD (total harmonic distortion) as the primary benchmark for audio performance. While it is a factor, many would argue it is not as important as IM, for instance. In fact some argue higher THD sounds better (tube fanatics, etc.). So don't be swayed by the numbers.

Mac G4's do not have as much processor speed since they operate at a higher throughput: 128bit vs. 32bit. Moving the data around incredibly quickly doesn't mean much if your left waiting for all the bits to arrive from the pipeline. There are many other factors and I'm over simplifying, of course.

Basically, don't be fooled by the me(gi)gahertz number game. Both PC's and Mac's operate very, very fast these days, especially with TDM. And IMO neither shows any clear advantage over either competing platform. (This wasn't always the case). The only two real issues is in the GUI of the OS, and which you think is more inline with your workflow and logic. Secondly, the quality and ease of use of the hardware from your preferred manufacturer. Apple's are designed and built with thought and care, but so now are Dell's computers.

JRL