Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-06-2022, 11:00 AM

Default Have to deactivate and reactivate VI every Playback Error?

Iím not sure when it started but at a certain point on my old i7 MBP anytime I get a playback error the midi tracks have to be made inactive and reactivated doesnít audio to play from those tracks. Otherwise they just show the midi activity but nothing plays through the vi

I figured it was my computer showing itís age and stuff but I just got a new Mac Studio Max and having the same issue.

Previous computer was on Catalina.

Any suggestions?

This has happened with NI, Waves, Slate, etc not really a brand specific

Last edited by drumzalicious; 07-06-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Have to deactivate and reactivate VST every Playback Error?

VST? Uh no. You mean the virtual instrument or VI. And if you search using the proper name you will see other folks have had similar problems, not sure there was ever a clear resolution.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:56 PM

If you are actually using the VST format of those plugins, the obvious first step would be to use the AAX versions instead. If, as Darryl suspects, you're confusing VST with VI, the first step would be to ensure that all of your plug-ins are up-to-date (VIs and otherwise).

It happens to me once in a great while. If it's really every single playback on your system, then there's probably an incompatibility somewhere. I remember a few years ago, it was impossible on Windows to use Brainworx and East West in the same session. Weird stuff like that can creep up on you. Once your plug-ins are all on the latest version, see what happens if you use only one brand of VI at a time, then two brands at at time, etc. Not suggesting that as a solution, just as a troubleshooting step.

PT 2022.6 Ultimate | Omni | macOS 12.4 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2022.5 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-06-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
VST? Uh no. You mean the virtual instrument or VI. And if you search using the proper name you will see other folks have had similar problems, not sure there was ever a clear resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
If you are actually using the VST format of those plugins, the obvious first step would be to use the AAX versions instead. If, as Darryl suspects, you're confusing VST with VI, the first step would be to ensure that all of your plug-ins are up-to-date (VIs and otherwise).

It happens to me once in a great while. If it's really every single playback on your system, then there's probably an incompatibility somewhere. I remember a few years ago, it was impossible on Windows to use Brainworx and East West in the same session. Weird stuff like that can creep up on you. Once your plug-ins are all on the latest version, see what happens if you use only one brand of VI at a time, then two brands at at time, etc. Not suggesting that as a solution, just as a troubleshooting step.

Yeah sorry guys itís VIís

Yes itís anytime thereís a playback error. Even if the issue isnít the VI plugin.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
Yeah sorry guys itís VIís

Yes itís anytime thereís a playback error. Even if the issue isnít the VI plugin.
Yep, Iím seeing the same error/issue more lately. Seems that if I do something that requires more than normal amount of CPU power, such as change a VI to a different instrument/plug in while in playback, or enable/disable a plug in on my master fader while in playback mode, that I get the pop error that some timeline or process could not be met. Disabling then enabling the VI plug in will fix it. If I just dismiss the error and hit play again, the VI will only play the first few notes. Or if I just try to play the VI only the first note/chord will sound and then nothing in subsequent key presses.

I havenít spent enough time when this happens to narrow down if itís related to a specific plug in only, or a certain plug in combination in the particular session. Iím on Mojave, Mac 6,1, 64MB RAM, 12 Core CPU and PT 2021.12 Ultimate/HDX(Iíve meaning to update PT soon). Certainly some sort of error recovery failure in PT in my opinion. I love Pro Tools, but I have found it to be one of the most if not the most unstable pieces of software I have ever used. Itís probably the most powerful and feature-rich as well. I donít envy anyone who is tasked with maintaining/fixing Pro Tools. So after using Pro Tools for over 10 years, instead of fretting in this instance, I learn how to nurse it and typically just move on.
PT 2021.10 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Pro 6.1 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6, 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VIís and plug ins to mention.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
Yep, Iím seeing the same error/issue more lately. Seems that if I do something that requires more than normal amount of CPU power, such as change a VI to a different instrument/plug in while in playback, or enable/disable a plug in on my master fader while in playback mode, that I get the pop error that some timeline or process could not be met. Disabling then enabling the VI plug in will fix it. If I just dismiss the error and hit play again, the VI will only play the first few notes. Or if I just try to play the VI only the first note/chord will sound and then nothing in subsequent key presses.

I havenít spent enough time when this happens to narrow down if itís related to a specific plug in only, or a certain plug in combination in the particular session. Iím on Mojave, Mac 6,1, 64MB RAM, 12 Core CPU and PT 2021.12 Ultimate/HDX(Iíve meaning to update PT soon). Certainly some sort of error recovery failure in PT in my opinion. I love Pro Tools, but I have found it to be one of the most if not the most unstable pieces of software I have ever used. Itís probably the most powerful and feature-rich as well. I donít envy anyone who is tasked with maintaining/fixing Pro Tools. So after using Pro Tools for over 10 years, instead of fretting in this instance, I learn how to nurse it and typically just move on.
Yep this is the same for me. My other system ran Catalina and an older version of PT.

However now on the new Max Studio everything was a fresh install and all plugins are up to date. I have not seen it be a plugin specific thing as itís happened with multiple including Avidís DB-33