Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 PM

Default Recording/Playlists/Comping q

Hey guys yet another of my soon to be incessant questions, if you can indulge me again....

I understand that recording to a playlist is the way to record multiple takes and later comp them together. It also seems like I have to actually create a new playlist every time I want to do another take. I also understand that I can tell protools to make a new playlist automatically on each loop when in loop recording mode.

However, is there a way to get protools to automatically create a new playlist for each take when in normal, non looped recording mode?

Failing that, let's say I accidentally re-record a take without making a new playlist. Is there a way to take that audio file and stuff it into a playlist so that it looks like all the rest of the takes?

Thanks, Logic took care of all of this for me automatically , so forgive my ignorance.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Recording/Playlists/Comping q

If you have two takes on one playlist, just create a new playlist and drag one of the takes there.

In case the new take completely overlaps the old take, just grab the old take from the clip list (right sidebar of the edit window). If you can still see both takes, drag the topmost take to new playlist and then adjust (the [ tool) the clip start time of the old take.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 PM

You can also, with the playlist view open, drag a clip to the short "blank playlist" that appears at the bottom of the playlist view, then release the mouse button. Pro Tools will create a new playlist with that clip on it.

Good shortcut for opening playlist view from waveform view is command-control-left arrow. Command-control-right arrow returns you to waveform.
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 AM

One little tip to help keep track of your takes is to name them like "Take.01" The ".01" will automatically change to ".02" on the next take, so you'll always know which order they were in and which take is which. If you do another take on a different track and later want to add to the original playlist, just drag it to the track after setting up for another take. It'll automatically assign the next number to the take.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Thanks guys -

Sounds pretty straightforward, I suppose. Not I just have to learn how to edit the playlists and make a comp.

Then apply that to a group (like instruments recorded with multiple mics)

Then get really fast and good at it. ;-)

Watching the lynda stuff and youtube vids has been helpful; i'm sure I'll keep on with those
Old 02-10-2015, 12:51 PM

Making a comp is very quick once you get the concept -- always elevate the stuff you like to the main playlist.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 PM

Thanks - one more stupid question.

I'm trying to use the smart tool to edit some clips, I can see it changing its icon based on where i hover over with the mouse.

Whenever I click on a clip though, a window called "spot dialoge" opens and I can't make any edits. When I uncheck "auot spot clips" in the options menu, the window no longer pops up when I click on the clip, but I can't do anything either. Trim, crossfade, etc don't seem to work.

It must be a setting somewhere that I don't know about? Is there a trick to the smart tool besides just clocking and dragging where you want?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:25 PM

Nevermind, figured it out. Guess I have a bit of learning to do about the different edit modes...

thanks again for your patience guys; ironic given my lack of it.