Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Default Output 1-2 to ADAT 1-2 and Headphone Out Simultaneously

We have an HD Omni connected to an HD Native card which is installed on a MacPro running OSX Lion.

We are trying to get our DAW Output 1-2 to come out of ADAT 1-2, and also have it come out of the headphone jack 1-2 on the front of the Omni. We can't seem to keep the monitor path going out of ADAT 1-2 and Monitor Output 1-2 simultaneously.

When we want to switch to listening to the headphone output of the Omni we have to go into the HW setup page of Avid Core and do some dance moves.

Any body got any ideas?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Output 1-2 to ADAT 1-2 and Headphone Out Simultaneously

If I understand what you're asking, you would need to do as follows:

Make sure 1-2 is set up as your stereo monitor path. The headphone jack will automatically mirror this, as long as you don't have the "cue" button pressed.

So the headphones should be already taken care of.

For the Adat, you need to make sure things are configured properly in the Hardware Setup Main Tab. Go under Setup>Hardware>Main.

On the right hand side, it lets you configure how to route your 8 allowable outputs. Let's say we're gonna use 5-6. By default, the Omni has 5-6 going to the analog out 5-6. You want to switch that to Adat 1-2 instead. If you wanted, you could then switch 7-8 to Adat 3-4. Or you could have 5-6 go to Spidf 1-2, and 7-8 go to Adat 1-2. You get the general idea.

This should now be updated in the I/O tabs as well. You can double check that.

Now, in your Protools session, on all your tracks that you have going to 1-2, you can control+click the output, and add 5-6 as well. Control click allows you to have more than one output for that track. You could have done this before as well, but it would have gone out the analog outs 5-6 because you had not yet changed the output assignment to Adat 1-2 in the Main tab.

If you want to quickly add 5-6 to all the tracks, you would do Option+Control+Click on the first or last track, and it will add it to all of them.

Additionally, if you want to separately control the volume of Adat 1-2, create a second Master Fader (I assume you already have one for output 1-2). When you create that second Master Fader, set its output to 5-6 instead of 1-2. Now using that fader you can control the volume for 5-6 separately from the volume of the master fader 1-2.

Hope this makes sense.