Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 AM

Default Re: HD Native with Thunderbolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
considering it has a headphone amp in it I would assume there's a chance you don't NEED to have it setup with a avid IO All the time.

Seems to me like you'll be able to use it on the go, for editing/mixing and be able to use the higher quality headphone amp.
Nope, apparently not, you'll need an interface

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 09-07-2012, 04:23 AM

Hmm.. I wonder if the headphone out won't just show up in aggregate mode when you have it hooked up without a interface present.
I guess adding the headphone out does make sense since only HD omni seems to have one.
Oh well, won't bother me that much.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 AM

i got an hd native core card actually and i don't know if i go with a MBpro retina 15" I7 2.3 ghz with 8gb ram or Imac I7 2.7ghz with 16 gb ram

and one of them with expressbox 3t to plug my hd native through the thunderbolt plug.

any advices ?

regards
Old 09-07-2012, 04:59 AM

If I were you I'd see if you can trade in the HD native card for the thunderbolt version they announced today.

I have the pci express box of Magma and it has an annoying fan. Like REALLY annoying.
They give you a "thermistor" you can put in there to regulate the fans, but it only regulates two of THREE fans so is mainly useless.

Wait and see if there's an audible fan in the HD Native Thunderbolt, if not. By all means stay away from Magma unless you are ok with putting it into some sort of isolation box!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...#disqus_thread

Hurray ! Finally....i'm just a bit baffled as to why it's not a regular 1u Rack-mount design,? As it *has* to be paired with an AVID interface, this surely would have made a an awful lot more sense !

As it is, its got an external 'brick' power-supply, & looks like it's been jammed into an M-box case.

Ah well, lets be grateful for small mercies, at least AVID are finally giving folks what they've been asking for !
A brick I can live with. The reason Avid did that is it gets them around having to have the box get approvals from whatever agency oversees/regulates AC mains power.

And it doesn't HAVE to be paired with an Avid interface; you can still use anything (with the proper drivers and firmware) from Apogee, Aurora, etc. It just has to have the Avid connector. What I don't want to see happen is what Avid did with the pcie version of the HD Native card and that was to force a person to buy a bundle of the card and an Avid HD interface. The HD Native card up until late last year was available without having to buy an Avid interface as part of the transaction.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 AM

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get it at all?

How is this thing impressive in any way? How is it any different than sticking an HD Native card in a Thunderbolt to PCIe box? A lousy headphone amp?

You still need a separate I/O box... so a box and another box...

I thought the whole idea of TBolt was so we could finally start seeing the end of a box and another box? (Apollo anyone??). Avid was supposedly one of the first companies to work directly with Intel to develop Thunderbolt for hardware interfaces. Why the **** do they still not have an interface you can directly plug into a computer without having yet something else between it?

After all the turmoil of the past year, this is what they come up with? A Magma box with a headphone amp... They might as well sell off Pro Tools now, if this is what currently passes for innovation at Avid.

Avid, the new Xzibit.

"We heard you like boxes, so we gave you a box to plug your box into so you can box while you box."

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
Seeing the Photo my first thought was someone hacked AVID's site. Looks like a dummy or photoshop experiment.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Rost View Post
Seeing the Photo my first thought was someone hacked AVID's site. Looks like a dummy or photoshop experiment.
More likely SolidWorks not Photoshop. Many new product 'photos' nowadays are 3D CAD renderings. In the old days many early technology product photos were often fake anyhow, photos of SLA parts or hand built models, rubber mould prototypes etc.

Darryl
Old 09-07-2012, 06:07 AM

[QUOTE=~ufo~;1962330]If I were you I'd see if you can trade in the HD native card for the thunderbolt version they announced today.

I have the pci express box of Magma and it has an annoying fan. Like REALLY annoying.
They give you a "thermistor" you can put in there to regulate the fans, but it only regulates two of THREE fans so is mainly useless.

Wait and see if there's an audible fan in the HD Native Thunderbolt, if not. By all means stay away from Magma unless you are ok with putting it into some sort of isolation box![/QUOTE
Magma expressbox 3t make some noise really ?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Imac I7 quad core 2.7ghz + 16 gb ram

or

MBook pro retina 15" I7 quad core 2.3 ghz + 8 gb ram

?

any advices

thks