Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Default 2 Questions re: Low Latency monitoring

I don't think I need to use low latency monitoring in my current setup but would like to learn more about its uses. When I track over a fully mixed session with a buffer of around 256, the latency is low enough to not distract my singers. If I do start to use it, and go through the process of setting it up in the headphone cues:

1) would it bypass ALL my currently active plug-ins including plug-ins setup on Aux tracks (as sends or subgroups)? or just the RTAS plug-ins on the track being recorded to?

2) Also, does this mean that when the singers sing along to the rest of the instruments, their voices are recorded "more in-time"? The reason I ask this is because I once did a recording with my old LE setup (Digi 002R) and recorded with the buffer too high (and the artist didn't complain or mention anything about latency). During recording it sounded fine but during playback I noticed I had to offset all of the vocals that were recorded by almost an entire 1/64th note.... this took FOREVER to fix with all of the BGVs.

Hope these questions make sense...
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Re: 2 Questions re: Low Latency monitoring

only the record track plug ins become inactive... i would use LLM whenever possible... in fact i wouldnt recomend tracking with plugins on a native system...
Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
in fact i wouldnt recomend tracking with plugins on a native system...
Ohhh... nerd, all jokes a side, you make for easy pickings tonight. I'm going to drive this one straight down the line, do you even have experience working on a HD Native system? And ohhh... please spare me the embarrassment of comparing a HD Native system with a LE system.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennaudio View Post
1) would it bypass ALL my currently active plug-ins including plug-ins setup on Aux tracks (as sends or subgroups)? or just the RTAS plug-ins on the track being recorded to?
Hey Glennaudio, yes LLM disables all Sends and Plug-Ins on the recorded Output path.

Quote:
2) Also, does this mean that when the singers sing along to the rest of the instruments, their voices are recorded "more in-time"? The reason I ask this is because I once did a recording with my old LE setup (Digi 002R) and recorded with the buffer too high (and the artist didn't complain or mention anything about latency). During recording it sounded fine but during playback I noticed I had to offset all of the vocals that were recorded by almost an entire 1/64th note.... this took FOREVER to fix with all of the BGVs.
The ins and outs of LLM I am not familiar with but my understanding is the LLM bypasses the internal processing and outputs the incoming signal straight to the hardware I/O.

I've had my HD Native system for a wee while now and although I don't track vocals, I'm pleasantly pleased tracking hardware synthesizers and Virtual Instruments using a 64 Sample or lower H/W Buffer setting with plug-ins if needed.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
only the record track plug ins become inactive... i would use LLM whenever possible... in fact i wouldnt recomend tracking with plugins on a native system...
I do it "All" the time.......

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Nerd, I clearly stated in the first part of my entry that I CAN track with most plug-ins ALREADY. I've been doing this succefully since Pro Tools 6 and my first G5/002R setup aside from the one incident already stated. The questions were about the USES of LLM and how it might benefit me in my current setup. It's available to me but I don't use it 'cause I don't absolutely need it.

For the other guys, thanks for your input. I think I should just try it it out and see what it feels like (as I am a vocalist myself).
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Nerd, I clearly stated in the first part of my entry that I CAN track with most plug-ins ALREADY. I've been doing this succefully since Pro Tools 6 and my first G5/002R setup aside from the one incident already stated. The questions were about the USES of LLM and how it might benefit me in my current setup. It's available to me but I don't use it 'cause I don't absolutely need it.

For the other guys, thanks for your input. I think I should just try it it out and see what it feels like (as I am a vocalist myself).
exactly my point... before HD native many claimed to be tracking with plugs in LE too funny... and why wouldnt u use LLM if u can its the lowest possible latency on a native system... but then again some people never learn
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
exactly my point... before HD native many claimed to be tracking with plugs in LE too funny... and why wouldnt u use LLM if u can its the lowest possible latency on a native system... but then again some people never learn
? what is there to learn. nothing was wrong with tracking with plugs in LE for some people? dude...really...your input on this forum really isn't useful. why do you troll on here the way you do?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Singers might not notice latency as such but any delay in the monitoring path has consequences on how they hear themselves. Remember that a large part of how we hear ourselves is thru bone conduction. So the sound in the cans interact constructively or destructively with the part that is bonr conducted. Even simple polarity reversal of the mic can have an effect on how a signer hears himself. All this can affect his sense of pitch or time.

So he might not perceives latency but he also might not be performing at its fullest...

Darryl Ramm
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 AM

Well, the only thing I would add is that, as an HD Native user, I do get a little tired of constantly having to juggle whether to use low-latency (oh-oh, that'll be no reverb for the singer then), or a low buffer (oh-oh, that'll be some of the VIs grumbling and/or stopping then). Neither option seems particularly satisfactory. It doesn't feel professional.

But, on the other hand, HD TDM also had its limitations. Wanna track a guitarist using, say, an RTAS-only plug such as Guitar Rig? Well we're into exactly the same territory - without the choice of LLM. And that Guitar Rig really doesn't like a buffer of 64 at all.

I still think we're a way off having a truly decent, all-options-covered, recording experience, using plug-ins on inserts or as auxes. Maybe the new plug-in format will address these issues.