Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 AM

Default Anyone Using the Dynamic Transport?

I'm just getting back to using PT from Logic and have got to refresh my memory on almost everything...getting around to the DT now and just wondered how you guys use it in your daily work and how it helps you.

Thanks
T
Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Anyone Using the Dynamic Transport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
I'm just getting back to using PT from Logic and have got to refresh my memory on almost everything...getting around to the DT now and just wondered how you guys use it in your daily work and how it helps you.

Thanks
T
Hi,

I use it a whole lot. Find it really intuitive.
You need to take about half an hour and fool around with it. THEN you WILL know how powerful it is...

What I REALLY like about it is the ability of setting a different starting point than that of the loop beginning...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
What I REALLY like about it is the ability of setting a different starting point than that of the loop beginning...
Exactly.. a time saver when trimming non gridded loops to perfection. Or long loops where, like 25g says, you don't have to listen from the loop start. ff
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Generally, I like DT
Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 AM

I do that with unlinking timeline/edit selection (shift-?)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
I do that with unlinking timeline/edit selection (shift-?)
I'm with Sean on this. I have yet to see where Dynamic Transport is essential when you can just unlink timeline/edit selection.

The only thing I see helpful with Dynamic Transport is if you were looping, say a 4 bar section and you want to punch in on bar 1, but you wanted bar 4 to be what leads you into bar 1. This scenario is an extremely rare occurrence for me. So I rarely use Dynamic Transport. But maybe I am missing something.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I'm with Sean on this. I have yet to see where Dynamic Transport is essential when you can just unlink timeline/edit selection.

The only thing I see helpful with Dynamic Transport is if you were looping, say a 4 bar section and you want to punch in on bar 1, but you wanted bar 4 to be what leads you into bar 1. This scenario is an extremely rare occurrence for me. So I rarely use Dynamic Transport. But maybe I am missing something.
Well there is only ONE problem here with above thesis... Altering PB position WILL remove the loop if ANY set...

Now I work a lot with loops (TImeline set to loop) If I unlink like suggested above and DONT want to start from the loop beginning BUT want to KEEP the loop only to play from various parts from WITHIN the loop THEN I have to enable Dynamic transport. I guess (but dont know) that this scenario was why they created it in the first place.

Dynamic Transport has a definite purpose - one which to my knowledge can ONLY be achieve by enabling Dyn Transport
Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 PM

25ghosts,

You are absolutely right. I didn't realize that the playback doesn't loop the selection if you unlink timeline and edit selection. This clears the mud for me now. Thanks for your post!
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio