Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Default ok... so no one bite my head off for this one.....ilok sharing

hey guys,

i have two systems in my studio - main HD rig for everything and an M-powered rig used predominately for editing, beat detecting and vocaligning etc when the heat is on and it's necessary to have to two things happening at once

the I-lok on the m-audio system has an authorization for vocalign on it....

now if i want to use vocalign on my HD system i have to stop the m-powerd rig working, take the M-powered ilok put it in my mac pro close and open tools again do the 10 second job close tools give the m-powerd ilok back to my engineer and then we both open tools again

now.... is there any way that is STILL LEGAL that would allow me to share the ilok between 2 computers - on the out side this would look dodgy but for something like vocalign or digitranslator etc for editing that i would never really use simultaneously can you see why i'm looking for a solution....

perhaps a networkable usb hub or something?

seems a little excessive to have to buy two licensees for something that only happens every now and then but maybe it's something i'll have to look into if i get any busier.

C.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Re: ok... so no one bite my head off for this one.....ilok sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_laruso View Post
hey guys,

i have two systems in my studio - main HD rig for everything and an M-powered rig used predominately for editing, beat detecting and vocaligning etc when the heat is on and it's necessary to have to two things happening at once

the I-lok on the m-audio system has an authorization for vocalign on it....

now if i want to use vocalign on my HD system i have to stop the m-powerd rig working, take the M-powered ilok put it in my mac pro close and open tools again do the 10 second job close tools give the m-powerd ilok back to my engineer and then we both open tools again

now.... is there any way that is STILL LEGAL that would allow me to share the ilok between 2 computers - on the out side this would look dodgy but for something like vocalign or digitranslator etc for editing that i would never really use simultaneously can you see why i'm looking for a solution....

perhaps a networkable usb hub or something?

seems a little excessive to have to buy two licensees for something that only happens every now and then but maybe it's something i'll have to look into if i get any busier.

C.
Carl, if the iloks are registered to one account, you could buy another Ilok and put those kind of licenses on a separate Ilok. I do this with VI,s, Autotune on one llok, PT and other TDM plugs that i use predominately on HD on another.... and Waves stuff on a 3rd.
If they are registered to separate accounts, I guess you will have to pay to consolidate if you want to.
another key to making this happen affordably is to stand in line at the NAMM Hilton Starbucks with the Pace guys (gentlemen all) and be allowed to grab several of iloks out of their "grabbag" in consideration of some solo cd's proffered. All this after buying Phil Jackson a cup of coffee so he would not have to stand in the long line. karma sometimes moves quickly!
BTW, i shared this windfall with a couple of other DUC members at the show. spread the love. SB
Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Hi
Maybe not what you wanted to hear.

Do you know that PT HD and Le still work if you disconnect the ilok during your work.

I do this sometimes when I temporarely have to use a Plug in the other room.

OR!

As written above get a second ilok and transfer all shared licences to it

Ale
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Hi
Maybe not what you wanted to hear.

Do you know that PT HD and Le still work if you disconnect the ilok during your work.

I do this sometimes when I temporarely have to use a Plug in the other room.

OR!

As written above get a second ilok and transfer all shared licences to it

Ale
This works ok until you want to instantiate a plugin thats on the removed ilok or you want to open a new session etc. so it leaves the original rig in a very limited state of play!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 AM

But if you are aware of this limitation it sometimes could help you.

USB Servers:
A few years ago it was possible to connect Iloks to some USb ethernet Servers.

But the "compatibility was removed per PACE's request"
You can read this in the manual of Keyspan USB servers.

I dont think someone in 2008 years has succes to usb share technology and PACE

Ale
Old 10-20-2008, 06:24 AM

Put more pressure on the companies involved to issue separate licenses for TDM and Le assets?! I used to split mine when more were available (ie buying TDM version gave you both..Smack! for example) for this very reason. I can't remember who still issues both when you buy TDM but it would be more useful no?
I would rather keep my TDM ilok safe in the studio and take an Le ilok on the road without having to shell out for a whole other bunch of licenses.
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 AM

I second putting pressure on this situation.

I've had a few times I drove down to my studio in Minneapolis (20 min from home) and realized I left my iLok in the Mix System at home! WTF!!!!!

I hate this. Are you kidding me? I AM NOT GOING TO KEEP ALL MY LICENSES HANGING ON THIS FLIMSY LITTLE FLASH DRIVE AND KEEP IT ON MY KEYCHAIN SO THAT I ALWAYS HAVE MY (CAPITAL MY) LICENSES WITH ME!!!!!!

so irritating.

On that note:
http://gizmodo.com/5017016/kensingto...-two-computers

Never used it. not sure it if works. I imagine the PACE drivers would see it and stop it?????

Now, that being said.... why should it? Let's say you have it plugged in and you're only accessing from one at a time.......????

Not so much an issue for me only having one room. The Mix system is for live remote, so I really don't need the iLok much. Only when I'm playing with it at home. I've pretty much decided to leave my iLok in the studio computer..... then it's always there.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Emcee View Post
On that note:
http://gizmodo.com/5017016/kensingto...-two-computers

Never used it. not sure it if works. I imagine the PACE drivers would see it and stop it?????
That seems to be a switch? so its one or the other! can't see pace objecting to that. USB switches gave been around for years.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Avid

Quote:
I hate this. Are you kidding me? I AM NOT GOING TO KEEP ALL MY LICENSES HANGING ON THIS FLIMSY LITTLE FLASH DRIVE AND KEEP IT ON MY KEYCHAIN SO THAT I ALWAYS HAVE MY (CAPITAL MY) LICENSES WITH ME!!!!!!
FWIW - if you think this is bad, imagine when there were only such things as disk-based authorizations. You couldn't use your plug-ins on any other system without burning an auth and a usually painful installation and authorization process.

With that said, it's technically not legal to use any method to share an iLok between two systems (thus the 'request' by PACE to have that ability removed from certain hardware devices). The reason for this is that someone, say a school or training facility, could buy a single license and share it between all stations.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM

I understand needing to protect intellectual rights, but it is very irritating to have to rely on yet another piece of hardware for our software to work properly. And actually, for what that's worth, it really isn't protecting anything.... there is still just as much bootleg software out there as ever. Maybe more. This is just very very inconvenient.

Now, CD Architect for instance. I have it on 2 systems because they allow me to. It is software, not unlike a plug in, and I have it permanantely installed in 2 locations, only using one at a time in accordance with their rules. VERY VERY CONVENIENT!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrrrr

maybe I'm just so bitter because business isn't good right now, and my mix system is being a pain too..... I'm sorry :)

On a positive note, once my new monitor board for the Control 24 comes, the studio will be back in flawless condition..... even on LE (my new, new monitor board.... ha LOL, funny story).....

As a whole I do realize that I am quite happy with PT. It is a ton pickier than other softwares I've used, but there are many good points to using it. It has made me money.

The relationship between Digi and it's customers is kind of like another familiar situation.............

You can never full satisfy all the people of your country, and the people will never be fully satisfied with the Government.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra