Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Problems Recording MIDI from an External Sequencer

I am running Pro Tools LE 7.0 on a Windows XP system. So far, I love PTLE, but I do have one little issue I haven't yet been able to resolve.

I have a ton of material saved on an external sequencer (in this case, a Korg Triton Extreme), and I'd like to import the data into PTLE and play with it a bit, even if it's just to create individual audio tracks for the channels I am using (for some visual tweaking) or replace some percussion tracks with BFD. I've had no problem recording MIDI on instrument tracks using the Korg as a controller.

In this case, by "importing," I mean setting up individual MIDI tracks for all the tracks I am using in the sequencer (one song at a time), routing those tracks to the appropriate MIDI channels, and setting the "Wait for Note" option in the transport window. I record-enable all the tracks and hit PLAY on the sequencer. PTLE starts recording, but it always mashes the first few notes, and the whole song winds up slightly out of sync with the proper tempo. There seems to be a fraction-of-a-beat lag time, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Is this a "clock source" issue or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my list of issues with PTLE is fortunately growing shorter and shorter.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Problems Recording MIDI from an External Seque

Always allow 2 empty bars at the beginning of a sequence so the first midi notes won't be clipped. This is a problem that Korg instruments among others seems to exhibit.

Honestly, the best way to accomplish this technique is to create a midi file of your sequences in the Korg, save to a floppy and import the midi file into PTLE. As long as your sounds are in the correct spots, your sequence will playback as usual, and editing midi data will be much easier in PTLE.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Problems Recording MIDI from an External Seque

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a shot. I had thought that there was a possibility that I'd have to import the data as a MIDI file, but the new Korgs have made it a bit of a pain to transfer files (no floppy drives anymore, so your choices are either USB or Compact Flash). I'll insert some blank bars at the beginning of the sequence and see how that works out. Thanks again!