Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-13-2003, 12:39 AM

Default cannot allocate space for recording

a client wanted me to transfer a few reels of 2" directly to their firewire drive. if i attempted to record directly to the drive, a message appeard saying "Cannot allocate space for recording".

i had little time to mess around so i recorded to a scsi drive and copied to the 1394 drive later.

i re-initialized the drive with the supplied utiltiy and reduced record time to 17 minutes to no avail...

anyone seen this before and know what the problem might have been?

mix plus system, G4 500, OS 9.0.2, PT 5.1.1

thanks
~matt
Old 03-13-2003, 01:47 AM

Default Re: cannot allocate space for recording

Change the preference Operation tab.. set Open Ended Record Allocation to a value like 10 minutes.

This is a known issue if you try to record to a drive with a large amount of free space and PT is set to "Use All Available Space".

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-13-2003, 07:50 AM

as i said, i set record allocation to 17 minutes, which is just a little more than a full 10" reel at 30ips.

the 1394 drive had 50GB free.

the SCSI drive was empty, with 71GB free and recorded no problem.

me thinks that be not the problem.

anyone else?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:55 AM

This also happened to me on a fresh install of 5.1.3 - I did as Rail mentioned, and it works (problem was on SCSI, not Firewire...) Make sure the FW disc is formatted HFS+

Good luck,
Old 03-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Avid

Minimoog,

You say that you initialized the FW drive with the "supplied utility." Which utility is that?

We recommend that you never use any 3rd party application to format firewire drives. To initialize, simply select the drive on the desktop, go to the Special menu and select "Erase Disk." Choose HFS+ and that's it. Lastly, after you've done this you should go to the extensions manager and disable any extensions that go with your 3rd party formatting utility. Then restart.

-Jordan
Old 03-13-2003, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Minimoog,

You say that you initialized the FW drive with the "supplied utility." Which utility is that?

We recommend that you never use any 3rd party application to format firewire drives. To initialize, simply select the drive on the desktop, go to the Special menu and select "Erase Disk." Choose HFS+ and that's it. Lastly, after you've done this you should go to the extensions manager and disable any extensions that go with your 3rd party formatting utility. Then restart.

-Jordan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanks jordan.

i've not used a firewire drive before and was a little surprised to not find it in drive setup.

erase disk works perfectly.

one question: how do i initilize a new firewire HDD without using the software supplied with the enclosure?

sorry, but i'm skuzzee boy...
Old 03-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Avid

Hello,

When you boot with the drive attached you will get a message stating that the drive is not formatted. You wil then have an option to format the drive or cancel. Just click format and the drive is ready to go.

Mike
Old 03-13-2003, 03:06 PM

thanks.

format seems to be a strange word to use around a mac. don't you mean initialize? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]