Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Calibrate OMNI interface for 5.1 output?

Is there any calibration necessary to set up an OMNI interface for 5.1 output?

If so, what's the best way to go about it? I have an SPL meter.

Also, is it simple to set up an OMNI system to switch between stereo and 5.1 monitoring easily?
PT Ultimate
Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Calibrate OMNI interface for 5.1 output?

Set the Volume to Zero. Figure out what level you are calibrating your room ( 76, 79, 82, etc) go into the menu and setup SPL mode and make Zero read the calibration SPL. Then calibrate your monitors but use adjust the levels on the speaker amps not the Omni outputs.

You can setup your the monitoring section to folddown 5.1 to stereo but its not a quick one touch thing, to activate it you have to get into the menu and look around. Most useful for sending 5.1 mix to headphones or a an alt set of stereo monitors.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM

There's a couple of easy options to switch the monitoring.

I'm not sure if you mean stereo fold down, or just switching to normal stereo for non-surround music mixing, etc.

For switching from 5.1 to stereo fold down, you would set up identical 5.1 paths in both the Main and Alt monitor paths, but in the Alt monitor path, you would set the fold down to stereo, and make sure the fold down enable box is checked.

By doing it this way, you can switch from 5.1 surround, to 5.1 folded down to stereo, by simply pressing the Alt button.

You can also set the headphone to fold down (or not) independently. For example, have the headphones fold down to stereo even when your monitoring full surround in the Main path.

Now if you're talking about switching from surround monitoring to just normal stereo monitoring, such as for just mixing music traditionally (non-surround), you have a couple of options.

Scenario 1:

For normal stereo mixing, you want to simply use your existing L&R speakers as normal stereo monitors (the same ones that would be used for the L&R of your surround setup). In this case, you would simply create a surround setup for the Main path, and a stereo setup for the Alt path. In the stereo setup in the Alt path, you would choose the same speakers/outputs that serve as the left and right of your surround setup. So you would just use the Main path for surround, then press the Alt button to have just a stereo path using your L&R speakers.

Scenario 2:

For your normal stereo mixing, you don't want to use the existing L&R speakers of your surround setup, but instead want to use a different type or brand of speakers. In this case, you would set the Main path to be surround, just like before, and then in the Alt path, you would choose outputs 7-8 as a stereo path, where the additional speakers would be hooked up (this assumes you've used outputs 1 thru 6 for your surround setup). By pressing the Alt button, it will switch to those additional speakers, and also switch to a normal stereo setup.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 AM

There's plenty in the surround forum.
Be sure to not put PinkNoise files or Tone noise generators with pans in center (PansLaw)
Direct-to-channel output will eliminate that confusion.

Note the Omni calibrates via software and is not a fine/exact as the 192-trims were.

For my process I RMS-voltmeterd all my outs and external meters then Pink-noised for SPL levels (EarPlugs)
Speakers - LFE - Sub extension treated with Bass managment
The Omni operates (-20DBFS = +4dbu)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Thank you much for the replies. I am going to help set this up to switch between stereo and 5.1, and not attempting to make the OMNI do any folding down of 5.1 to stereo. Thanks for the helpful posts. Great info.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 AM

Another OMNI question....am I correct that if there is a firmware update available for the OMNI that it would automatically prompt you to install it upon installing the latest version of PT? Or am I wrong about that and I should check with AVID for any firmware updates?
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 AM

To Check, use DigiTest after an update/upgrade. Omni/(Other HW) firmware versions installed and available will show.
This is also where firmware would be installed from.

It's been awhile but I do recall a prompt shortly after getting an Omni.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM

thanks much!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:17 PM

I had writen a detailed use of the OMNI a year or so ago, not sure where the thread is. a search on here can find it.
But min is set up for 5.1 to surround speakers, stereo to auratone speakers, 3 headphone outs (one on the front and 2 from the rear to talent, stereo out to a TV, Korg keyboard input via lightpipe, mac computer stereo in via spdif,sdpif stereo out to a digital dorroughs, Digital mic pre input. and still have the 2 mic inputs open and unused.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 AM

Just looking at the manual for the OMNI, it states setting pink noise at 0db. So not -20dbfs? . At 0db I have to turn the Cr down to almost the lowest it can go. No chance of getting CR to 0.

Its a bit confusing for me as for Stereo work I use an Audient Monitor Controller so the OMNI doesn't control the level. I have to go direct for 5.1 though....