Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Default Sound volume very low when playing through laptop's speakers

Hello all,
I'm very new to using Pro Tools, and have extremely limited knowledge about how it works.

My problem is that both with the playback and when I export, the sound is very low. The input levels seem fine, a healthy yellow, but for some reason the playback is way too quiet.

Thanks for any help on the matter, I am very inexperienced and do not know much jargon being used.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Sound volume very low when playing through laptop's speakers

Welcome to DUC.

"Help Us Help You" up top of each DUC web page. Read what is expected of you there, including clear info on your setup, and its just a useful resource to know about.

What exact laptop? What are you recoding exactly? Recording what type of input (e.g. vocal mic, what exact mic, with what preamp?) and style of music?

There are many controls that affect output volume.

Input: the analog signal level/mic preamp gain etc.
Inside Pro Tools: track level fader, plugin processing, clip gain, send faders, output master fader
Computer: likely the computer has a global volume control.

The input level is not what should be being used to adjust output level. "being in the yellow" may not be a good goal even. You should be setting say mic input gain for what sound best, you have untold amounts of digital gain in Pro Tools to then do whatever you want with that signal. (over fixating on input meter colors is a common beginner mistake.. and make sure your meters are set to pre-fader mode when tracking).

Commercial recordings "sound loud" because they are compressed, in many cases to the point of stupidity. If that is what you are hoping then you need to also compress the hell out of the signal. Even if not you will likely want to do some form of compression and EQ 'mastering' on the final mix.

OTOH you are not going to be able to mix well using laptop speakers, and they are not every going to really 'sound loud'. You need to get a good pair of headphones and/or external monitors.

You are likely best off starting with tutorials that work you though tracking, mixing and maybe mastering work.