Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Default Maximum total number of audio or fade files exceeded (Error -9168)

Hello!
I recently get the same error message whenever I want to create a fade:

the maximum total number of audio or fade files has been exceeded. you can reduce the number of files by consolidation audio or removing unused files from the session. (-9168)

When I try to play the file with the new fade I get the errors, -9060, -9031 and -9060 again.

I tried to delete all unused audio, delete the WaveCache, delete all fades and let PT regenerate them at session start, delete pro tools preferences and digidesign databases...

It is a film session with a 95 minute film split into 5 reels (each around 20 minutes). About 60 tracks with 5788 fade files and 2528 audio files.

What is the limitation and does anyone have an idea what to do except of consolidating? The film will get mixed in about 2 weeks and I don't want to lose the opportunity to change the length of a region.
Upgrading to PT10 is no option because the mixing theater is working with PT8 and I don't want to have the trouble downgrading everything.

Thank you in advance!

I use: PT9 with CPTK2 on Win 7 with 6GB RAM
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Maximum total number of audio or fade files exceeded (Error -9168)

The Ref Guide appears to be mute on the subject. I suppose one workaround would be to separate it into one session per reel (which is what I've always done, anyway). Last stage before mix is to consolidate each track (on new playlists so you can get back to the original regions if needed) and import those all into a new session together.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Maximum total number of audio or fade files exceeded (Error -9168)

Thanks for the answer!
Since I'm not sure if the picture lock is final (this time ) splitting the session is not really a good idea right now. If I have to copy a scene from reel 4 back to reel 2 this would be difficult.

I wonder why It seems that I have reached the maximum number because this project isn't that big. A social drama with nearly no FX etc. There should be much bigger sessions!

After a lot of research I found out that it might be a problem of the computer itself and not of pro tools.
The computer has a maximum number of files which can be open at the same time. This limit is saved in some kernel data called kern.maxfiles There should be an option to change that limit but i haven't found out how to do that yet.

So if anyone knows if this is the reason and how to solve it or some other reason for that error I will be very thankful!