Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Why is it SO HARD to find optimizations/ Approved Hardware, etc??

I am on the forums every week researching any issues and troubleshooting techniques and everytime I go to paste a link to a page its takes forever to find anything!! Just try to simply search for Pro Tools 10 Optimizations..... It brings up nothing even related... everytime I have to use google to find pages on the Avid website.... This is absurd...

The search engine had improved some recently and I thought these issues were going to be fixed but holy baby jesus does Avid make it SO difficult to find pertinent information....

I am talking about the Forum search aswell as the main Avid.com web address search....

I dont generally complain but this gets more frustrating each time I try to help another user out... to the point that I dont feel like helping anymore...

Avid Moderators>>> is this your new duty is to inform Avid about things like this and make suggestions????

I would suggest that you ask them to do something to solve this...

To get to the pages you have to go through a bunch of various pages just to get to this information...

Last edited by jasonthurley; 04-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Why is it SO HARD to find optimizations/ Approved Hardware, etc??

How about a link at the top like you have now (Software Updates, Drivers, and Compatibility) that are seperate links...ie... Pro Tools Optimizations, Drivers, Hardware Compatibility, Plugin Compatibility... that actually take you right to this information?! I feel like jumping through 8 pages to find this is another reason so many people end up getting non approved computers/video cards/etc..
Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

Some good suggestions and valid complaints, and we are always working on improvements. The reason we consolidated some of the links was because there were so many individual links that we were receiving feedback that there were too many, so users were overlooking them. We'll see if this works out better in the long run or not, but we're trying something different than before.

I can point you to one of the things you are looking for that might help..click on the Pro Tools Support Videos at the top of the forum. The first item there is on Pro Tools 10 Optimizations for Mac OS X Lion, much of which would also apply to Mountain Lion.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:25 PM

I completely understand what you are saying about there use to be a lot of individual links, but I dont think that was so big an issue as the links dont direct you to the place we are all looking to be at... you get to a parent page that then has more links, and then more links on the next page... this is a big hassle...

If I click on a link for Optimizations... it should pop up the actual optimizations for each system, not PT 10.. another link for that, PT9, another link for that, etc... this is a massive PITA and seems like you guys are using WAY more pages than should be necessary...

For me I will post a link for a user to see the optimizations, then another user will post needing the same thing... it takes me a few to remember how to get there again and the search does not help unless you search for an EXACT phrase.

Just go up to search and type "Approved Hard Drive" and you get a list of posts that have nothing to do with it...

Then go to Avid.com and do the same thing and the pages show up... now type "Approved Harddrive" No results... now search for "Recommended Hard Drive" It pops up a list of nothing but links for other stuff...

Thats what I mean by "Exact phrase" for the search to work...

Now I go to Google.com and search for Recommended Hard Drive Pro Tools

Immediately pops up the same two pages I HAVE to type "Approved Hard Drive" on Avid.com to find them....

Just further information to describe my frustration... I literally have to leave Avids website to find the pages directly
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
I completely understand what you are saying about there use to be a lot of individual links, but I dont think that was so big an issue as the links dont direct you to the place we are all looking to be at... you get to a parent page that then has more links, and then more links on the next page... this is a big hassle...

If I click on a link for Optimizations... it should pop up the actual optimizations for each system, not PT 10.. another link for that, PT9, another link for that, etc... this is a massive PITA and seems like you guys are using WAY more pages than should be necessary...

For me I will post a link for a user to see the optimizations, then another user will post needing the same thing... it takes me a few to remember how to get there again and the search does not help unless you search for an EXACT phrase.

Just go up to search and type "Approved Hard Drive" and you get a list of posts that have nothing to do with it...

Then go to Avid.com and do the same thing and the pages show up... now type "Approved Harddrive" No results... now search for "Recommended Hard Drive" It pops up a list of nothing but links for other stuff...

Thats what I mean by "Exact phrase" for the search to work...

Now I go to Google.com and search for Recommended Hard Drive Pro Tools

Immediately pops up the same two pages I HAVE to type "Approved Hard Drive" on Avid.com to find them....

Just further information to describe my frustration... I literally have to leave Avids website to find the pages directly
I actually like the way Avid has it organized now, rather than a bunch of links you have a parent link and go from there. Just like folder hierarchy on your computer. You just have to be able to find that parent link.

QAPLA!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I actually like the way Avid has it organized now, rather than a bunch of links you have a parent link and go from there. Just like folder hierarchy on your computer. You just have to be able to find that parent link.
Well that's 1 happy customer.....