Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 AM

Unhappy Unable to boot Pro Tools V8.1 past Initializing Hardware (DSI) stage

Sorry to disturb you all with this, but I have a serious problem with my PT HD2 running Version 8.1 with a 96 i/o.

On Friday I recorded a live gig with my Intel based rig, that is fully flight cased. Gig was fine, but since returning I have a serious problem in booting up my Pro Tools. I am seriously worried that something may have happened in the return transport home, as it no longer completes "boot up" of Pro Tools and gets "stuck" on "Intializing Hardware (DSI)" dialogue of the loading page.
No crashes, but does not advance further.

I have tried a number of things including:

Checking that the PCIe cards weren't shaken loose in transit back to my studio.

Checking the cable and connections. Even trying a friends cable to see if that was a problem.

Looking inside the 96 i/o for any loose components.

I have tried loading Logic Pro, which is okay until it tries to automatically boot up Digi Core Manager, then fails with a message that Digi Core Manager unexpectably "Quit" report.

This morning I have tried re-installing my system from way back to 7.4 (wherein there is a DAE Error -4 message and a crash at the same "Initializing Hardware" stage).
I then installed my V8 original installer from AVID (which displayed the same message), and have gone through the upgrades I have to get back to 8.1

Lastly, I have deleted the DAE preferences etc as was common in the old days to cure certain problems, but all to no avail!

I guess it might be a problem with either the PCIe cards or the interface, however the interface is communicating, as the power light is amber and no other lights are on when my Macs in power off mode, and is activated when it senses the computer is on and shows the power light green and some indicator lights on sample frquencies etc.

I am really worried that something major has happened and my system is seriously broke. However if you can think of anything else that I might try, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks for any help or advise you can give.

All the very best,

Regards,

Barry.

Barry Sage.
Top Manta Music Ltd.
Santiago de Chile
Region Metropolitana
Chile
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Unable to boot Pro Tools V8.1 past Initializing Hardware (DSI) stage

Hello Barry,

Have you tried running Digi test yet?

It is in applications / Digidesign / pro tools / utilities (I think that's the path from memory! But it's def in the pro tools folder)

Digi test will run various checks and tests on your cards and show if there are any faults on the cards or the connections etc.

Another thing to do! Strip the system back to the basics! Just the core card to start with. Completely remove the second card from the computer. Take care when handling the cards!! It's easy to break a resister on the edge! And earth yourself before touching the cards etc.

See if anything shows up!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Unable to boot Pro Tools V8.1 past Initializing Hardware (DSI) stage

Hello Barry

Did you ever found out what caused this in your system?

I have been experiencing the same thing. It is not constant though. In my case, the system first crashes - for whatever reason - and if I attempt to relaunch PT 8.1 HD without restarting first then the crash at the DSI occurs.

It became so annoying so annoying last week that I just went down the format option. I've installing apps and using Time Machine to back up every time I do any major installation.

I just finished installing every app that I use and save all the plugins for last. It could be a coincidence but here's what has happened to me so far:

I installed 3 Antares AVox plugs first and Virus Indigo and everything launched just fine.

Next was AudioEase Speakerphone 2 (2.0.3) when I launched my PT session, Speakerphone's auto-update feature kicked in and crashed the Mac. I downloaded 2.0.5 installed it and then the DSI freeze came up.

I am just writing this while my Mac restores from Time Machine.