Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Re: The Native Truth vs UAD-2quad vs TDM power!

Normally I run with 9 out of 12 processors, but in this test I could squeeze out more plugins with the 11 out of 12 setting.
I have replaced a quad CPU with a W3690 hexacore 3.46 CPU in the Mac Pro but it is not a Hackintosh. 100 percent Apple Mac Pro.
You can find them on Ebay.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I have replaced a quad CPU with a W3690 hexacore 3.46 CPU in the Mac Pro but it is not a Hackintosh.
I'm assuming you are referring to a 2009 Quad Macpro, correct?

Well if you won't accept the fact that it IS a hackintosh, then how about a Frankentosh? LOL

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Derek

The 4GB Mac OS limit is theoretical. The real world limit is between 2.3 and 2.8 GB or thereabouts. On my system I get the PT memory warning dialog around 2.8 GB if I get that far but usually I've crashed WAY before then!

I also get best results running PT with 6 cores (on a 6 core Westmere.)
Interesting. I've gotten up to 3.6 GB of RAM before. strange.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
I'm assuming you are referring to a 2009 Quad Macpro, correct?

Well if you won't accept the fact that it IS a hackintosh, then how about a Frankentosh? LOL
I wouldn't consider upgrading cpu's "hacking". To me a hackintosh is a pc with osx as the os. In fact I'm pretty interested in taking a first gen 2x dual-core Mac pro and installing 2x quad-core procs. Can be done (including buying the Mac pro) for a grand or less. It's all apple, and doesn't require any mods/os tweaks, it's just not a configuration not originally offered.

My MacBook pro on the other hand.... It's an a1260 with an a1226 mobo, two HD's, and 6GB of ram. I'll gladly accept it's a frankentosh.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
I wouldn't consider upgrading cpu's "hacking". To me a hackintosh is a pc with osx as the os. In fact I'm pretty interested in taking a first gen 2x dual-core Mac pro and installing 2x quad-core procs. Can be done (including buying the Mac pro) for a grand or less. It's all apple, and doesn't require any mods/os tweaks, it's just not a configuration not originally offered.

My MacBook pro on the other hand.... It's an a1260 with an a1226 mobo, two HD's, and 6GB of ram. I'll gladly accept it's a frankentosh.
Every hardware pieces in a mac you can find in a pc. Nothing is "Mac". In fact if you actually read the system specs of a Mac, you'll be hard pressed to find who made which parts of your computer. Beside the actual CPU, they list nothing else of who made what parts. It's all the lowest cost possible, packaged together, tested to make sure there's no evident problems and then sold a premium price, even if at the base cost, you would have gotten the exact same thing for 3 to 4 times cheaper if you just made it yourself.

An example is this http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/...co=MTg2OTQ5OTk

Read this system at 5+. k, beside the g-card and the cpu, can you tell me which mark model and which brand the other pieces are from? Mac doesn't produce any hardware, they buy the individual pieces and pieces them together. There's not even mention of what mobo is being used (in 2007 intel were designing and making the mac mobo with TPM and EFI chips to make sure that osx would only run on those. They were off the shelves mobo, but since then I have no idea who makes them). So anyways, all that to say that it's all things that you could have in your 2k pc and unless you actually open the mac pro and they left the brand on the pieces, you wouldn't really know what's in your mac pro and how cheap it is

But your's a hackintosh because it's been modified, and not the stock model of when it left apple's stores.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 AM

Dirk from Brainworx chimed in on the GS thread and pointed out that the UAD and TDM version always used 100 percent of DSP load but the native version is dynamic.
I did the test again with really heavy duty EQ settings.

443 AU Instances in Logic and 330 RTAS in Pro Tools.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Every hardware pieces in a mac you can find in a pc. Nothing is "Mac". In fact if you actually read the system specs of a Mac, you'll be hard pressed to find who made which parts of your computer. Beside the actual CPU, they list nothing else of who made what parts. It's all the lowest cost possible, packaged together, tested to make sure there's no evident problems and then sold a premium price, even if at the base cost, you would have gotten the exact same thing for 3 to 4 times cheaper if you just made it yourself.

An example is this http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/...co=MTg2OTQ5OTk

Read this system at 5+. k, beside the g-card and the cpu, can you tell me which mark model and which brand the other pieces are from? Mac doesn't produce any hardware, they buy the individual pieces and pieces them together. There's not even mention of what mobo is being used (in 2007 intel were designing and making the mac mobo with TPM and EFI chips to make sure that osx would only run on those. They were off the shelves mobo, but since then I have no idea who makes them). So anyways, all that to say that it's all things that you could have in your 2k pc and unless you actually open the mac pro and they left the brand on the pieces, you wouldn't really know what's in your mac pro and how cheap it is

But your's a hackintosh because it's been modified, and not the stock model of when it left apple's stores.
We're off topic so I'll try to keep it short, but that's what I'm saying too. A Mac pro with a different CPU is not a hackintosh. It's just using different parts than when it left apple. Since they do use mostly of the shelf parts it's easy to do these days. You just get a hot rodded Mac if you will. Or frankentosh, as you said.

A hackintosh IMO is "hacking" osx to work on a system that it wasn't originally designed for. It's a thin line, and more than anything probably boils down to the mobo, but IMO its there. Basically can you install osx straight from a stock disc, or does it require a work around (iBoot,multi beast, ect.)?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 PM

+1

But now, can we go back to the topic
Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Hi Firechild,i've been following your thread here and on GS,you gently answer my doubt in a post here at duc,about instaling a uad 2 duo,to save more cpu for the other plugins in PT.I still don't understand (xcuse the ignorance),the uad eats cpu power?The main plan is to left uad2 for verbs and delays,and cpu to other lighter plugs.Lets say my mixes use to use 3 or 4 verbs,1 delay,1 doubler,and lots of comp eq gates tape emu strip emu buss emu some virt instruments ampli simul etc,24 to 40 tracks.I'm about to buy another pc with i7 8 gig of ram w7 64 bit.Would you recomend me to wait and try the perfomance before to buy an uad 2?PT native.
Thanx
Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Hi Firechild,i've been following your thread here and on GS,you gently answer my doubt in a post here at duc,about instaling a uad 2 duo,to save more cpu for the other plugins in PT.I still don't understand (xcuse the ignorance),the uad eats cpu power?The main plan is to left uad2 for verbs and delays,and cpu to other lighter plugs.Lets say my mixes use to use 3 or 4 verbs,1 delay,1 doubler,and lots of comp eq gates tape emu strip emu buss emu some virt instruments ampli simul etc,24 to 40 tracks.I'm about to buy another pc with i7 8 gig of ram w7 64 bit.Would you recomend me to wait and try the perfomance before to buy an uad 2?PT native.
Thanx
Correct, the whole point in this thread and similar threads is that a modern CPU ( like an Intel i7 quad/hexa) can EASILY handle all your plugins without the need for a DSP card. On the contrary an UAD-2 card for example will introduce unwanted latency to your system and the DSP power added to your system with a UAD-2 card is like 10-15 percent of what you already have and you will always prefer to keep your latency down than those tiny added DSP cycles that an UAD-2 card will bring to your system.
UNLESS you REALLY need those high quality plugins, you have to bite the bullet and buy the card too.
But in your case , you are looking from the the DSP point of view not the plugin point of view so don´t buy until you really need those great sounding plugins. But you asked about RealVerb, that´s not one of the great sounding plugins An uad2-quad can run 36 RealVerbs and if RealVerb still exists as a plugin for DigitalPerformer my quess is that you can run at least 200 RealVerbs on a cheap Intel i7 950 CPU.

To be fair I have to say I am using an UAD-2 card myself, but it is for the great sounding UAD-2 only plugins, as the UAD 1176LN or the Roland RE-201 echo for example.