How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Default I/O issue when Recording in ProTools First

Fam,
I have just recently began to play around with Pro Tools First and have been running into a bit of an issue that I can not seem to resolve or find an answer too. When I first downloaded PTF, I was without an interface, so I was advised to install the ASIO4ALL driver, which I did and this worked fine in regards to me getting sound from my lab top, until I purchased an interface. After purchasing my Focusrite Scarlett Solo, I downloaded all the necessary drivers/plug-ins and, at first, was unable get any connection from the Focusrite into ProTools with my instrument plugged in. I solved this by changing the playback engine in the setup tab from the ASIO4ALL to the Scarlett Solo interface. Now I am able to get signal from my instrument when I enable to recording option on a new audio track; however, I am unable to hear the track my my labtop speakers. The only time I get audio play back from Pro Tools is when I change my playback engine to ASIO4ALL.
I am assuming this has to do with the fact that I set the playback engine to the Scarlet Solo, but I do not have speakers connected to that interface. To put simply, I want to be able to record my guitar using my interface and want the play back to come from my computer speakers. I have tried setting this up in control panel in the sound setting, but that also did not work. Is this something that I can set up or do I have to have speakers set up to the Scarlett Solo in order to hear the play back from my recording?
Thanks in advance for all input!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:46 AM

Default Re: I/O issue when Recording in ProTools First

Put an A/B switch between your interface-computer and your speakers. I don't believe you can designate more than one i/o device at a time, or one for input, a different one for output.
Might also consider a Mackie Big Knob or a Presonus Central Station, which is a very elaborate means of doing the same thing.