Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Sound on Sound?

Just bought PT 12 so that i can learn it. I do like 12 so far but i think im missing something or Protools is ridiculously behind. I'm not seeing a way to do sound on sound...

I have been tracking a masterful percussionist and his kit requires about 12 mics and after we do a take and let the cymbals/drums decay naturally... he wants to punch in and record the next section of the song. when i punch him in the decay of the previous part abruptly stops and gets replaced by the new audio instead of allowing the decay to finish and bleed into the next part like it NEEDS to.

so then i duplicate all 12 tracks and their effects and punch him in and alternate between the 2 sets of 12 drum tracks..but that's stupid. All other DAWs Ive worked in will do sound on sound. I mean i get that PT kinda emulates the old mixing board and analog tape work flow but that would just be down right...silly for the "industry standard" recording program to cut of the decay of sounds when punching in...what am i missing?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Sound on Sound?

First, sound on sound refers to a specific thing.

http://www.les-paul.com/timeline/sound-on-sound/

Second, search the manual for Crossfades.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 PM

Gotcha in other DAW's Sound on Sound is a term used to indicate that you can record on top of other existing audio and hear sound from both rather than "overwrite" mode which is what PT seems to have. I see now in the crossfade editor that you can grab the black squares and drag the fade to the edge of the clip. Definitely more clunky than expected but at least it works! Thanks for your tip to look further into making a custom crossfade.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Gotcha in other DAW's Sound on Sound is a term used to indicate that you can record on top of other existing audio and hear sound from both rather than "overwrite" mode which is what PT seems to have.
Which ones? Can you show me where they use the term sound on sound? And can you post a video of it doing this automatically for you?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:55 AM

Would using different takes on each track work in this case? Then comp between them as needed?

Anyways doing SOS in the digital world could/would easily lead to digital overload on the track(s).

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 AM

The problem isn't the technique, its the reality of how drums get recorded and how punching in(on a drum kit) needs to be done properly(usually its best to punch in just at the hit of a crash cymbal). Pro Tools handles punching in just as it happens on tape machines, with the bonus of being able to drag the punch point back and forth with the Trimmer tool

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Gotcha in other DAW's Sound on Sound is a term used to indicate that you can record on top of other existing audio and hear sound from both rather than "overwrite" mode which is what PT seems to have. I see now in the crossfade editor that you can grab the black squares and drag the fade to the edge of the clip. Definitely more clunky than expected but at least it works! Thanks for your tip to look further into making a custom crossfade.
Love to know the names of the "other DAWs". I own most of them and they all work like PT.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Love to know the names of the "other DAWs". I own most of them and they all work like PT.

C
I wonder if these 'other daws' the op talks about automatically create another audio track when punching in? Still I've not heard of that.

QAPLA!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Mixbus has a feature called track layering which is distinct from takes. Opacity is an interesting concept.

Quote:
Region Layers

Regions may be stacked on the same location in the timeline. This is called “layering”. Normally only the top region is heard; it covers the audio regions below it. However there are cases where the region below can be heard. One example is the top region’s fade-in or fade-out. Region fades operate as crossfades. If a region is stacked on top of another region, then the region underneath will audibly “fade out”, while the topmost region “fades in” across the length of the crossfade. The second way to hear a region below the topmost region is if the topmost region is not *opaque *(the Opaque flag can be turned off in the Region menu and/or the right-click Region context menu).
I would assume this is a feature of Ardour (the underlying DAW).
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 07-31-2017, 05:01 PM