How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Default Can someone explain this?

Ok so just researching which DAW I'm going to jump ship to and just thought I'd point this out and see if anyone can explain why this is the case.

Let's say I have all my own hardware, all I need is a DAW to do surround sound mixes. Two options available to me are:

Reaper- $60 unless I earn over $20k a year, in which case it's $225. This includes two major version upgrades for free.

Pro Tools- $600 plus $1995 for the CPTK which I need for surround. Any version upgrades will cost me most likely $300+

Reapers comments on their pricing: "We don't spend money and effort on marketing, complicated piracy protection, or other things that do not directly improve REAPER and the user experience. We think the good will generated by playing fair and being responsive to users is more valuable to our business than short-term profits. "

Meanwhile Avid give the users number 11 out of the top 11 most requested features for an exorbitant upgrade price.

Now can someone explain to me...

Why are we here?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Can someone explain this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
Why am I here?
I fixed it for you.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
Ok so just researching which DAW I'm going to jump ship to and just thought I'd point this out and see if anyone can explain why this is the case.

Let's say I have all my own hardware, all I need is a DAW to do surround sound mixes. Two options available to me are:

Reaper- $60 unless I earn over $20k a year, in which case it's $225. This includes two major version upgrades for free.

Pro Tools- $600 plus $1995 for the CPTK which I need for surround. Any version upgrades will cost me most likely $300+

Reapers comments on their pricing: "We don't spend money and effort on marketing, complicated piracy protection, or other things that do not directly improve REAPER and the user experience. We think the good will generated by playing fair and being responsive to users is more valuable to our business than short-term profits. "

Meanwhile Avid give the users number 11 out of the top 11 most requested features for an exorbitant upgrade price.

Now can someone explain to me...

Why are we here?

I know why Im here. Perhaps your budget doesnt allow you to work in a PT surround environment? Have you tried Reaper?

I say give it a shot, there is no reason you cant combine efforts from both DAWs, there are many success stories here on the DUC regarding using Reaper rewired into PT. I havent had the need to move, and I am staying put at 9 until I definitely need an upgrade or until it really is no brainer, and when I say no brainer I mean it must transform me into a zombie and make me blindly click "add to cart".

I love Reaper's approach towards their customer base, is that from their website? Seems like a dream come true.....

but Im a PT guy, after giving Reaper a test spin, it seemed so detached from what I was used to that I decided at the time to let it go and invest my time in music making.

YMMV.....
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
I fixed it for you.
Ha! Just got that....