Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-04-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Maximizing a Mid 2010 Cheese Grater

Hello all,

I still have my mid 2010 Mac Pro and would like to keep using it with Pro Tools. I know many of you are still using these machines and was wondering what your configurations are, what upgrades are reasonably priced and what you'd recommend.

I have an HD Omni with a PCIE card.

Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Maximizing a Mid 2010 Cheese Grater

What actual problems are you trying to solve? Otherwise this is just all a likely pointless exercise. What exact errors do you get? What limitations do you run into? What can't you do at all that you want to be able to? What new software do you want to use? etc.

You could help more here by saying what exact configuration, CPU, memory and disk/SSD (make/model/specs and how connected) and what OS and Pro Tools version you are running now now so folks have another way to triangular on what to suggest.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 PM

Get a PCIe adapter card to hold SSDs, one for boot disk and one for sessions, and have enough RAM, that's a start.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 PM

... but which adapter card, PCIe bridge based or not? NVMe or AHCI SSDs... all depends on the OS you want to run.... and what is more justified or needed... memory, storage, CPU or graphics cards upgrades..... nobody here knows.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Get a PCIe adapter card to hold SSDs, one for boot disk and one for sessions, and have enough RAM, that's a start.
For the sake of economy this is a good route to go. A good budget solution would be a couple of Samsung 860 EVO's or Pro's on pcie adapter cards and max out the ram. For all but the biggest of uses it'll work and then some. And you won't have the heat load issues you'd have with an NVME setup especially given there's already the pcie card for the Omni.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2019, 06:01 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'd like to be running 10.13.6 with the latest version of Pro Tools Ultimate. Right now the only upgrades I've done is adding memory (64 GB).

I understand these machines aren't supported but I also understand that a lot of people are still using them. My goal is to hopefully get a few more years out of the Mac Pro.

And as I re-setup my Mac Pro, I'm just curious if there are any no-brainer upgrades or configurations to achieve this. It sounds like SSDs are one.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:53 AM

Metal compatible GPU is the key if you aim for Mojave
Old 09-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlineRock View Post
Thanks everyone.

I'd like to be running 10.13.6 with the latest version of Pro Tools Ultimate. Right now the only upgrades I've done is adding memory (64 GB).

I understand these machines aren't supported but I also understand that a lot of people are still using them. My goal is to hopefully get a few more years out of the Mac Pro.

And as I re-setup my Mac Pro, I'm just curious if there are any no-brainer upgrades or configurations to achieve this. It sounds like SSDs are one.
From that 64 gig ram I'm guessing you have a dual cpu model. It would greatly help us if you gave us a full run down on exactly what you have in your computer. Model, cpus, etc. Also what kind of budget are you looking to spend.

While waiting for the above like I said if you want a budget upgrade get a pair of pcie ssd host cards - I use the ones from OWC. I have a Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB ssd on one which is my system drive. That's split into two partitions - one with OSX 10.10.5 and the second with OSX 10.12.6. The first partition is so I can still have PT 11.3.2 on my machine and PT 2019.6 as well on separate boot partitions. Now that 4 TB ssd's have become affordable I plan on moving my samples to one on a pcie card and another 4 TB ssd to host my PT sessions. Right now my sessions & samples are on two WD Black 4 TB 7200 rpm spinners in the drive bays. My system is outlined in my profile.

PM me if you want a little deeper dive and don't want to deal with the forum. I may not get back to you for a couple of days until Hurricane Dorian gets well past NJ. For as strange as that monster has been so far I don't trust what I'm seeing of the computer models on the hurricane tracking sites.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PM me if you want a little deeper dive
Thanks! I just sent you a message.

Be carful out there :)