Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Default Upgrade path for older version of PT TDM

Hello - I am a bit confused about my options (or lack thereof) as to what to do with my Pro Tools Mix Plus system. I don't want or need to get an HD system as I am mostly running other DAWS and also run a UAD card for my plugins. I still do want to be able to run Pro Tools when needed but from everything I've read, Native seems like it would be just fine. I am not going to do massive tracking - probably 10 or 12 tracks recorded at once would be my absolute limit as to what I need. I have plenty of external mic pres and would not need any software to do that - I would mostly be using Pro Tools for mixing and editing. All that being said, I went into the dealer and asked if I could upgrade from my most recent version of PT - 6.2.3 - and was told that I could not. That my version of Pr Tools, which at one point was the top of the line, was now worth nothing. That I needed to purchase a new copy of Pro Tools - is that truly the case? Does anyone have any information to the contrary? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Upgrade path for older version of PT TDM

Support for mix was dropped in 2004. The latest version of PT for your system is 6.4.1. If you already have a license for 6.2, you should still be able to download 6.4.1 from archive.digidesign.com for free.

From what needs you've listed, I would just stick with the mix system. I personally think the features of PT9, and the fact that you don't need a digi branded interface to run it make it totally worth the price, but you will have to make that choice yourself based on your needs.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM

I'm sure you could sell your mix+ system for at least the cost of PT 9 Native. If you have an interface to use with PT 9 then sell it and move on up. I paid approx 400 for a core card , 2 882/20, interface and y cables, and PT 6.4.1. All within the last 3 months. And so you know 6.4.1 is still available for 40 dollars on the avid store sight.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Upgrade path for older version of PT TDM

You got very bad information from your dealer. There is an upgrade path for you (which would include PT9) to Native:

http://imsproav.com/main/AVIDEX99056500700.html
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.