Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2011, 05:44 AM

Default How to save my PT6 Mix system on a G4 / 933?

Hi,
I've been running a Pro Tools Mix system on a G4 / 933 tower for 10 years now. Running OS 10.3.9, PT 6.4.1. The computer has had it's up and downs, but it's hung in there, and the system has been stable enough for me to run my studio. No cash for HD, otherwise I'd jump up.
Just in the last few days I've had a few bad freezes, where the whole computer has just stopped dead in it's tracks, frozen. No gray screen of death. No error message. Just completely frozen, not even while doing any kind of intensive operation in PT. So I'm worried that the end may be nigh for this computer. Unfortunately I don't even know where most of the system disks are. I started on OS 9, so I've cobbled and patched my way up to OS X over the years. Also the Superdrive is super flaky now.

I'm wondering:

A.) if there are any key diagnostics I could/should run? and

B.) If I were to get another G4 / 933 in better condition, should I be able to just swap my old hard drive into the new one? C.) in the cas

C.) If I have to transfer Pro Tools over to the "new" computer, how would I got about that? Again, I may have the original PT 5.0 install disks, but all the upgrades over the years have been done online. Anyone have any experience getting old versions of the PT software from Digi, now Avid? All my plugs are iLok, so I should be fine there.

D.) If I have to reinstall to a "new" computer, should I just go straight to a Dual 1.25 Mirror Door? That's the last Mac that runs Mix, isn't it? Are those systems stable? I would value stability more than the added CPU power.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Steve
Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 AM

Default Re: How to save my PT6 Mix system on a G4 / 933?

I have built a lot of mix systems. From my experience, the mdd's are great machines but they are loud. If you are using all TDM plugins you will not gain any advantage while working in pro tools from going to the faster cpu.

The mdd does have a few cool tricks up it's sleeve over the quicksilver though, the most significant being that there is room for a total of 4 internal hard drives and 2 optical drives. If you run any programs alongside PT, the dual CPU's will be nice in OSX.

It sounds to me like you really just need a complete rebuild of the system disk. It would be a good time to replace the hard drive as well. If your superdrive is being flakey that might be the cause of your trouble. Also try pulling and re-seating your RAM.

I don't have any mix stuff laying around at the moment, otherwise I could put together a fresh G4 for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Hey,
Thanks for the tips & feedback. I may actually have stumbled on a G4 / 933 on Craiglist in really nice condition with the original OS 10.3 system disks, so I'll probably try and get that configured. The MDD sounds good. I use as many RTAS plugs as I can, although I have 3 Farm cards, so I'm pretty good with DSP. But I like using the Waves IR-L, which only runs RTAS. And that is a hog, so having more CPU power would be cool. Also, my current 933 is super noisy, so I was already thinking of building an iso box, or drilling a hole into the next room or something.

Should I just rebuild a fresh system drive, and then reinstall everything on it? Is it possible to get fresh installs of older Pro Tools versions? I need PT 6.4.1, cs3, I think...

Anyway, thanks for the tips. - Steve
Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 AM

You can still buy the 6.4.1 installer for like $35 from the avid store as a download if you lost your disk.

I actually modded an mdd a few years ago and got it very quiet. It's a lot of work and you need to be careful because if you don't do the software and cooling mods right it will overheat. You need to replace 3 of the internal fans with quiet ones, then remove the back plastic and add a few extra 80mm fans right behind the CPU. I also got a copper heatsink from a dual 1.42, that helps keep the temp low as well. I also completely gutted it down to the metal and then punched a lot of 7/8" holes with a knockout in the case to help vent it.

There is software called CHUD tools that will enable "nap" mode for the CPU, this alone makes a HUGE differnce. By default G4 CPUs will cycle at 100% regardless of if they need to use that power or not. This is why they run so hot. By enabling nap mode, you allow it to only speed up when it actually needs to. This doesn't affect performance, because when the CPU needs to throttle up it's almost instantanious.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Hey man,
Thanks again for the deep info. Kinda' sounds like you know what you're doing. Not sure I'm up to the task of modding an MDD. Just gotta' get my current system stable first. I'll definitely check out that CHUD software, too.

Currently I don't turn off my computer, unless it crashes or something. This on the assumption that it's harder on a CPU to be constantly turned off and on than to just stay on. Also, I was having troubling starting up for a while. Not sure if this is a good idea, or is it better to shut down every night?

Thanks - Steve
Old 03-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Theoretically it's better to maintain a constant temperature, the heating and cooling is supposed to be hard on the chips. But I always shut my stuff down when I'm not using it because I don't like paying for the electricity and also because a power failure/surge can be a lot more damaging.

The CHUD 3.5.2/nap mode is for mdd's only iirc, I don't think you need it if you stick with your quicksilver 933. But check on the apple forums, there are a few guys on there that would know for sure. I've only had one quicksilver system, the others that I owned and/or built were either the earlier sawtooth G4's or the mdd's.