Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-21-2016, 03:23 AM

Default High CPU when recording MIDI

Greetings APAC members,

I am experiencing a substantially increased CPU load when I record MIDI with a keyboard controller through an iConnect MIDI2 interface, connected to my MBP via USB.

I am using an Apogee Ensemble T'bolt 2 interface which does not have MIDI connectivity so I bought the iConnect for my MIDI requirements. When I initially set up this MIDI device, it had only one default clock speed of 44,1 kHz in the Audio MIDI setup window of my MBP.

So, I am running my sessions at 48 kHz. My audio is running very reliably but when I record MIDI data, my CPU goes through the roof and I experience some sloppiness in the timing of the MIDI. In order to get the job done I have to change my buffer size from 64 samples to at least 512 and sometimes more thus increasing latency. As soon as I stop recording MIDI my CPU demands return to expected levels.

I believe that the problem is caused by the clock mis-match. Would this be true? Is there a fix with this device or would I need to purchase something more compatible. Are there any more appropriate MIDI boxes (ones that function at 48 kHz) or setups that would suit my needs in the market?

Many thanks in expectation,

Andrew

Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2
RME Octamic II
UAD Octo Satellite
Old 06-21-2016, 06:57 AM

Default Re: High CPU when recording MIDI

Are you playing that midi through a VI as you capture it? Exactly what one?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:44 PM

Select ProTools to play audio through the Apogee... /setup/playback engine/
Midi ports is independent and are auto-detected at PT start-up.

Yes there are other Midi boxes... I want to try Kissboxus.com
Rtp-Midi is far better protocol than USB midi.

When recording MIDI, buffer size must be set as low as possible to hear/feel like realtime.

Low buffer size "64-128" increase CPU load without any plugins.
High buffer "512-1024" increase latency but allows the CPU to load more plugins.
Click: User lists^
Click: Add to ignore list.
Solved.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Are you playing that midi through a VI as you capture it? Exactly what one?
Hi Darryl,

Yes, I am playing it through Kontakt 5.

Cheers,

A. R.

RME Octamic II
UAD Octo Satellite
Old 07-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRoss View Post
Hi Darryl,

Yes, I am playing it through Kontakt 5.

Cheers,

A. R.
K5 usually isn't a cpu hog. I've had sessions with 8+ instances of K5 on the system in my profile with no sweat. That being said there might be some K5 sounds/libraries that use a great deal of Kontakt's scripting engine and that could be causing your elevated cpu issues. You haven't said what your normal cpu usage is nor what the cpu usage is when you are experiencing problems. That would surely help.

What K5 sounds/libraries are you using?

44.1 KHz is not clock speed but the sample rate for analog to digital conversion and vice versa. As such it has no meaning with MIDI as MIDI is only digital data such as note on, sustain, pitch bend, etc.

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:15 AM

"44.1 KHz is not clock speed but the sample rate for analog to digital conversion and vice versa. As such it has no meaning with MIDI as MIDI is only digital data such as note on, sustain, pitch bend, etc."
07-10-2016 03:48 PM

Thanks for this info. The same thing happens at 44.1k too. That proves your point.

I have had to adjust my workflow around this MIDI latency issue recently. I now freeze MIDI tracks as they are completed/edited. It's not a solution, just a work-around. Anyhow, I rarely do more than one MIDI track at a time. I use an external sound source from the keyboard which I monitor on input, then change as necessary when it's "in the box".

RME Octamic II
UAD Octo Satellite
Old 08-01-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRoss View Post
"44.1 KHz is not clock speed but the sample rate for analog to digital conversion and vice versa. As such it has no meaning with MIDI as MIDI is only digital data such as note on, sustain, pitch bend, etc."
07-10-2016 03:48 PM

Thanks for this info. The same thing happens at 44.1k too. That proves your point.

I have had to adjust my workflow around this MIDI latency issue recently. I now freeze MIDI tracks as they are completed/edited. It's not a solution, just a work-around. Anyhow, I rarely do more than one MIDI track at a time. I use an external sound source from the keyboard which I monitor on input, then change as necessary when it's "in the box".
I thought you were using Kontakt 5 and now you say (2 years later) you're getting your sound from an external sound module (keyboard). There's always been a latency issue with PT driving external synths and I doubt it will ever go away.

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM

The iConnect driver is a single unified installer that covers both midi AND audio interfaces, so, I suspect the sample rate issue is tied to the driver giving instructions related to audio. I recently had to reinstall this POS driver and not only did it not work(at all), it also reset sound properties on my system(differently for each of 4 install attempts). If possible, remove the iConnect Audio setup(which, in theory, would leave the midi portion available). This is exactly why I despise iConnect(plus their inability to make the midi portion show up correctly).

For me, I used their iConnect2 2x2 midi box for the last year or so because my MOTU Fastlane USB quit working when I went to Windows 10. Now, despite the iConnect working for the past year, it refused to work on a new install this week. On a hunch, I downloaded new drives from MOTU and now the Fastlane USB works dandy(and the iConnect tech support failed to resolve my issue). Just my opinion, but I will never buy another product from iConnect

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave