Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2015, 05:29 PM

Default Re: POLL on PT 11 and PT 12 that will OR will not upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
If you can show their methodology ("spin") has significantly changed between the two releases you have a case. But if it hasn't, those numbers look pretty alarming to me.
They're grouping dissimilar responses. That's enough on its own to warrant me posting their image of the original results. Make of them what you will. I'm not making a case for anything or trying to push any specific conclusion.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:25 PM

All good points guys! I think this is is a good discussion. Not sure the poll is the best one, but it gives us time to consult on this. We will see once all of the offerings of updates are in with 12 where everyone stands as I am an HD user and have been since the beginning of it's inception. Looking forward to more input as it happens from Avid.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-08-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I'm not making a case for anything or trying to push any specific conclusion.
Yes, you absolutely are, and I only recognize your name because you do this exact thing repeatedly and for no apparent reason, even when it's against logic. Others have caught on, too. If you're stern with calling things what they are then certainly you'll appreciate our observations, though you won't like the assessment.

The jury is *not* still out on PT12 and it's silly to suggest otherwise, unless you've been hiding underground, and it's even more ridiculous to think that arguing over the minutia - a nebulous, incomplete and inconclusive "poll" no less - would render any useful conclusion. Rarely has public opinion about PT been in such harmony, and it's not good for Avid. However, it won't stop some from defending them tooth and nail (even when the teeth and nails are stuck in THEM, too :).
Old 05-08-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Yes, you absolutely are, and I only recognize your name because you do this exact thing repeatedly and for no apparent reason, even when it's against logic.
I linked to the original results that Pro Tools Expert posted, which was in contrast to the secondary report they posted. Everything was posted by PTE, I had no hand in it. If there's an agenda there, complain to them. If it's nebulous and useless, complain to them. Anyone here can see the way they did indeed group unlike responses, regardless of how you feel about it.

Second, it's not "against logic" to have a different view about this whole thing than you. We either have different thresholds, or differing priorities and/or opinions on this whole matter. I am absolutely entitled to mine, and you yours. You speak for you, and I'll speak for me. My only agenda here is discussion, I'm not some sleeper agent sent by the evil Pro Tools Industrial Complex to spread positive misinformation through the DUC populace.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
Mesaone, it is absolutely clear. You are one of the biggest Avid apologists around here.
You know Mesaone, coolbass does have a point, you do come across this way in many threads running to Avids defense.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
You know Mesaone, coolbass does have a point, you do come across this way in many threads running to Avids defense.
I would have classified my activity on the DUC as "mostly helpful, often opinionated", but I guess that's just me trying to boost my Avid paycheck... OOPS that slipped out, I meant I'm trying to be a contributing member to this forum.

Am I running to Avid's defense, or am I just not prone to panic and hyperbole? For every accusation of "avid apologist", an equal and opposite accusation of "avid alarmist" can be leveled against a lot of people here. The minute your dollar becomes more valuable than mine is the minute you have a point. Until then, it's just a disagreement. I have three HD licenses on the line, so you can take from this that I have sufficient skin in the game. With a support plan, this is a substantial investment.

Last edited by mesaone; 05-09-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Or *perhaps* adding some balance to the discussion? The folks at 'PTE' were getting inside/advanced info from the guys that worked at Avid and left for Gobbler. Remember when PTE *routinely* had the inside scoop? And now they don't. Check the last time they had a 'scoop'. It will be prior to their first poll re: the direction of Avid. Note the relationship of the date the Avid execs left for Gobbler as well.

Now PTE publishes polls were the respondents select themselves. Ever try to use the web to evaluate a service or product? Then you probably see the result of self selection. Surprise! People with complaints complain. Those that are happy don't. And so it is not often easy to evaluate the number users of the product that are happy vs. those that are not.

While specific criticisms re: the rollout and even the model are informative and in many (most?) cases valid, the PTE polls are worthless. But PTE is doing a fine job of trying to help there old friends (now at Gobbler).
Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 AM

Maybe it's time to move back to a discussion about the relevance of this poll without injecting the relevance of a person's opinion about the relevance of this poll.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I would have classified my activity on the DUC as "mostly helpful, often opinionated", but I guess that's just me trying to boost my Avid paycheck... OOPS that slipped out, I meant I'm trying to be a contributing member to this forum.

Am I running to Avid's defense, or am I just not prone to panic and hyperbole? For every accusation of "avid apologist", an equal and opposite accusation of "avid alarmist" can be leveled against a lot of people here. The minute your dollar becomes more valuable than mine is the minute you have a point. Until then, it's just a disagreement. I have three HD licenses on the line, so you can take from this that I have sufficient skin in the game. With a support plan, this is a substantial investment.
To be fair you are very helpful. With 3000+ post that's clear to see but you do get a little zealous at times. Nobody's perfect especially not me.