Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM

Default making the grade

Hi everyone, well been learning as much as i can in pro tools, tomorrow will be my first client and very excited & scared at the same time *GRACE UNDER PRESSURE*, on my recently old Roland VS2000CD i was able to record, monitor with or without effects and without any latency, now i hear much about latency here and somewhat worried?

here's my setup:
Mackie 1604vlz, 1-8 are drums going direct out into my digi003 console

Mackie Sub out 1&2 goes into my Lexi MPX100, then out SPDIF into DIGI SPDIF ( L&R) /10 tracks at once total

should i monitor headphones thru the Mackie, or monitor thru one of the headphones on the digi?

i have a rolls headphone amp i can utilize somewhere?

this is what i done for testing purposes

record the 10 tracks, which is only drums, then any remaining overdubs, which will be singer, bass, guitar i will create new track in PT for them, route them one at a time thru Sub 1&2 SPDIF into the DIGI, that way there's no re patching of any inputs already used that's going into the Mackie *i have no patch*, yes i need to be slapped(LOL)

I also have sub out 3&4 on the Mackie going into my asr10 looping back into the Mackie then out 1&2 out SPDIF into the DIGI, for some reason going thru the asr10s converters has a *MOJO* i just can't let go, the verb in the ASR10 is more warmer to me also(opinion only) than the Dverb.

all said should i monitor thru the Mackie?

But i also need to somehow be able to send a click track to the drummer only?
which is the bet way you *PROS* would achieve this with my setup? use one of the headphones out from the DIGI?, and the rest of the band monitor thru the mackies headphone out?, and if i do send the drummer a separate headphone mix with the click will there be a latency issue?

above all else i can't say enough how much everyone here has helped ME ((((((((((((THANK YOU)))))))))))))
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 AM

Default Re: making the grade

What computer are you using?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohn View Post
What computer are you using?
thank you Mr John, I'm using an Imac 1.83 Intel core 2 duo / 2gigs of ram, Tiger 10.4.9 /// PT 7.3.1.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Well you could monitor through the 003 headphone out, if you set your buffer to 64 (or 32 on PT8) you could set up a monitor mix through the outs and you should be fine. Just don't try and monitor the same input off the desk and the 003 at the same time or you'll get some nasty phasing.
I do sessions all the time, often with a live band (Drums, guide bass/gtr/vocals + click) and always set up the musicians' monitor mixes in PT using sends. See the thread entitled 'How do you guys deal with latency when tracking'
Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohn View Post
Well you could monitor through the 003 headphone out, if you set your buffer to 64 (or 32 on PT8) you could set up a monitor mix through the outs and you should be fine. Just don't try and monitor the same input off the desk and the 003 at the same time or you'll get some nasty phasing.
I do sessions all the time, often with a live band (Drums, guide bass/gtr/vocals + click) and always set up the musicians' monitor mixes in PT using sends. See the thread entitled 'How do you guys deal with latency when tracking'

Thank you mrjohn, so bypass any monitoring off the desk totally right?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Thank you mrjohn, so bypass any monitoring off the desk totally right?
mrjohn on the digi 003 console, the two headphone outs, can they have their own headphones mixes?, and maybe one of the headphones outs have just the click for the drummer?