Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Hardware buffer size settings?

I have been meaning to ask this question for awhile now. How low can most of you set your buffer size setting and still be able to record and hear whats being recorded? I cant seem to go any lower then 512, just doesnt seem right. If I choose 256 and arm my track and have the transport record ready, once i hit play to start recording my monitoring signal goes dead silent not sure. But if I put it back on 512, I have no probs. Can someone tell me why this is happening.

Thanks Eddie
Old 01-03-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Hardware buffer size settings?

I am running a similar system and can get to 12-16 tracks using the 128 setting with very low latency. Are you tracking to a dedicated audio drive? If not-add a second hard drive for audio(create and save all your sessions on it). If so-time to dig in on making sure you have done all the XP tweaks(do a search) not just the ones in the PT booklet. Once in a while I will go into record and lose audio on the record channel. I click the record enable off and back on and I am back in business.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-03-2005, 12:48 PM

Hey Albee,

I experience the same thing you mentioned about having to rearm the track also and like you said not really a big deal. Truthfully my problem is not a big deal neither just one thats been bugging me. I still can record at 512 and since I cant try it 256 or lower, guess I dont know what Im missing.
I have been running a dedicated audio drive since day 1. So maybe I have missed a very important tweak. I will have to go back thru them and see what I can find.

Thanks for the reply
Eddie
Old 01-03-2005, 01:48 PM

It happens to me when I'm recording at 128. Put your record button on punch in, hit start, and move the fader of the track which is record enabled, ( make sure you only tap the fader, or you'll loose your setting) the monitoring on that track will come back. Punch in.

I thought it was a bug, but someone said that it is due to the low buffer and how fast your CPU is. ?????

I was using a 2600mhz AMD with a A7V8X-X, the system would never work at buffer 64.