Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2023, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony Mk 1 Dolby Atmos Monitoring

You do not even need the control hardware, the included control software is where you set it up anyway and it works great. Properly integrated with macOS volume controls so likely Mac keyboard is all control hardware you will ever need.

Yes, one thunderbolt cable gives you 32in 32out with two 16x16 cards (one card is enough for Atmos monitoring, but it needs to be installed on lower slot). The box has TB2 connectors but as it is backwards compatible, an adapter to TB3 works just fine.

(I have been enjoying Apogee Symphony mkII with my Genelecs since 2017)
Old 08-21-2023, 06:25 PM

Thanks, that makes it much simpler....what Dolby software would integrate properly with a powerful macbook M2 MAX and PT Ultimate? I assume i need something from Dolby haha
Old 08-21-2023, 08:12 PM

Why not google for "apogee symphony mkii atmos monitoring" and find out the magic happens within the box itself, and you set it up with the control software...

You need to have 16x16 card installed on slot one (lower) and update firmware with version 3.8.2 software. That's it.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
From my experience, if someone has chosen Apogee it is because of the converters. Shame mkI may not have Atmos like mkII has and likely mkIII is right around the corner, but many of the Symphony cards are compatible with mkI and mkII so that's where I would be trying the 16x16 card.
Maybe I'll wait till the MKIII comes out and then try and do some comparisons. I am a big fan of the converters in the Apogee, although I've had many tell me they aren't as good as necessary (for some reason...) This was coming from mostly sales reps I believe, especially Lynx.

I know that Gearspace had a converter shootout that I should go and listen too at some point. I like the modularity of the MTRX but it's out of my budget entirely... the upgradability is really nice though.

I think that the comments here are right that I'd be better off going to a Mk2 or a different interface rather than sticking with the Mk1.

How do other professionals normally try out gear? Do they just jump in and buy it, then sell if if they don't like it, or are there ways of borrowing demo models of multiple products to test them in your space?
Same question stands for monitors... I always hear about people demoing monitors in their spaces but was never sure how to try and do that.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:51 PM

I LOVE the headphone amp on my Apogee, but the converters are only slightly better? than the ECHO 12 box I used for many years. i read they were the same chips so who know.....I begged them to make a TB 12 output box w a volume control, but they dont make audio stuff anymore.....
Old 08-28-2023, 01:55 PM

In here using Apogee Symphony mkII and the headphone amp + Sennheiser HD650 headphones translate very well to my Genelec speakers (7060 + 5x8040).
Old 08-28-2023, 06:34 PM

Im considering keeping my firewire Apogee, just for the headphone amp....the detail w my Sony phones, is insane.......I listen to every delivery thru those things, and it always ends up costing me time cuz i hear sumpthin I didnt on the Dynaudios...