Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2023, 11:03 AM

Default The new élastique Pro option is great!

I did exactly what I advise others not to, & upgraded PT mid-session to try 'élastique Pro' , as was dealing with a particularly 'creative' drummer (i.e couldn't play to the click).

I have to say, the algorithm to my ears, works *way* better that the previous 'Rhythmic' E.A setting for live drums, & doesn't suffer from the same artefacts when stretching the cymbals/hats.

Up until now, if I'd wanted to do that kind of grid-accurate quantizing with live multitrack drums, I would overdub cymbals, in order to avoid stretching artefacts.

I would always prefer advances like these, rather than more free synths etc.

Good work Avid!

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 04-24-2023, 03:11 PM

Default Re: The new élastique Pro option is great!

Ooh I was wondering how others were getting on with it. I’ve not tested it extensively but it was definitely the best sounding for some acoustic guitars I was fixing up. I had a bit of a weird glitch where it pitched a clip a semitone up for no reason but toggling it with a different algorithm seemed to fix it. If you do the trick that I do sometimes of speeding stuff up and removing all the analysis markers it goes a bit phasey, but the algorithm might be transparent enough to not have to do that anymore.

Tl;dr so far so good !
Old 04-24-2023, 09:55 PM

I was not impressed with the versions I tried years ago, but time marches on, and Im sure theyve made great strides....If its clean and non phase washy inducing up to say 25% even, id be happy.....stretch is so much harder than compress, for obvious reasons, but IF it works , then Im onboard asap...I dont do rhythmic, just single sound effects, but even then PT struggles with a lot of stuff....
Old 04-24-2023, 09:57 PM

btw, the isotope pitch algo in SoundMiner is so fantastic.......but i cringe every time i have to time expand/compress using PT
Old 04-24-2023, 09:59 PM

AND the AMS Audiofile is STILL the best sounding by far....if you wanna keep a windows NT 80,000 dollar machine sitting in your office....haha
Old 04-25-2023, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
I did exactly what I advise others not to, & upgraded PT mid-session to try 'élastique Pro' , as was dealing with a particularly 'creative' drummer (i.e couldn't play to the click).

I have to say, the algorithm to my ears, works *way* better that the previous 'Rhythmic' E.A setting for live drums, & doesn't suffer from the same artefacts when stretching the cymbals/hats.

Up until now, if I'd wanted to do that kind of grid-accurate quantizing with live multitrack drums, I would overdub cymbals, in order to avoid stretching artefacts.

I would always prefer advances like these, rather than more free synths etc.

Good work Avid!
Sounds promising.

I rarely use the Rhythmic setting, even for percussion. The Polyphonic mode seems best to my ears. Occasionally I use Monophonic mode for the obvious but 9 times out of 10 go for poly.

Of course, Beat Detective has its own advantages and drawbacks but is best for parts which aren't a million miles off. Otherwise EA is quicker and easier.

The number of bands who state then can play to a click and are heading a totally different direction after only 10 seconds in is laughable. Playing to a click is a totally different discipline to jamming with the band free.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 04-25-2023, 04:40 AM

Some examples here https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...h-better-is-it

élastique sounding pretty pro.

Some schoolboy errors in the demos IMHO. Check the second bar of the bass in Monophonic mode. Highly likely the threshold is too high and to many Warp Markers resulting in the infamous warble effect. Save that for D&B As I said earlier, the drums would be better comparison with EA in Polyphonic mode in the example given.

But a worthy tool for the toolbox.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 04-25-2023, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Some examples here https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...h-better-is-it

élastique sounding pretty pro.

Some schoolboy errors in the demos IMHO. Check the second bar of the bass in Monophonic mode. Highly likely the threshold is too high and to many Warp Markers resulting in the infamous warble effect. Save that for D&B As I said earlier, the drums would be better comparison with EA in Polyphonic mode in the example given.

But a worthy tool for the toolbox.

Stephen
To be fair to the author they did say they were only using "default" settings, but I agree that they could get far more useable results with pretty much any of those algorithms (apart from maybe rhythmic) with the smallest bit of tweaking.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:07 AM

I haven't ventured into elastique yet. Does it handle pitch, too? Or just time exp/comp?
Old 04-25-2023, 01:17 PM

Yes, I have to say I am blown away by how much better it is than the previous Elastic Audio.

One known issue to watch for, it doesn't work well on small clips for some reason. But other than that, I am super impressed with it.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio