Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 PM

Default If i use analog mic pre hooked 2 002 will it be...

If i use an analog mic pre amp hooked up to the digi 002, will the mic pre amp channels record as seperate channels in pro tools? and if i had an 8 channel pre amp but hooked up 9 drum mics 8 in the pre amp and 1 in the digi 002, would it still work as seperate tracks and sound good?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: If i use analog mic pre hooked 2 002 will it be...

You have 8 analog, 8 Lightpipe (Adat) and 2 S/Pdif options with the 002. That is it. Either a lightpipe 8 channel preamp and other analog pres hooked into the Line ins (analog) of the 002 will work. You cannot have 8 in's from one pre and still use the 002 pre's at the same time.

I run mine with a Apogee Rosetta 800. That gives me the ability to have 8 analog ins that go DIGITAL (Adat - lightpipe) into the 002. That gives me the 16 ins that I need, and I then have my Art DI/O box that gives me 2 more digital S/Pdif ins and outs if needed.

I have all my 18 outboard pres in my patchbay and just patch to what I need. The Apogee really opened the door for my 002 setup. 18 channels of preamp at my finger tips. I do not use the 002 pres and just bypass them with my patchbay setup.

Hope this helps.

- Doc

PREAMPS

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 04-01-2005, 08:40 AM

On the 002 channels 1,2,3 and 4 have the onboard digi pre, how do you bypass the pres if you are plugged right into those inputs?

Channels 5,6,7 and 8 have no pres, but it is the 002 AD convertion, and I'm sure you rather use the AD convertion from the Rossetta. In the case that you were tracking a drum set with more than 8 mics, will you notice the diference in convertion quality? since you'll be using 8 adat (rossetta AD) and 4 002 AD convertion.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 AM

Doc

Where are you patching all your pre mic ins (XLR)at? I have the 1272, but the mic in's are on the back. I'm trying to decide/figure where I can run the ins to, so It's easy to use on the fly.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 04-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Doyle, and Camilo
I have all my snakes going to the top bay of my patch bay. I then have all my PRE inputs below that. The next bay down has the outputs. So 18 i/o's for the patchbay are across the board. I have 24 snake hannels at the top due to a 16 channel snake box in one room, and a 8 channel one in the other room. I can then patch to whatever pre I want. As for the inputs 1/2/3/4 on the 002. There is a LINE button that you can push that will let you use Line Level inputs on those channels. That is what I do. I then have the I/O of the 002 going to the patchbay as well. I will try my best to get a diagram up of my setup tonight and get it out. Too busy now trying to figure on going HD2 here really soon (yep.. in the works - opportunity knocks)

Basically my patchbay looks like this:

PATCH BAY 1: Fully normalled
TOP ROW: All inputs from room snakes
BOTTOM: All Inputs from Preamps (trident 80B, S20, DigiPre, 1272, Dememter, X73i's)

PATCH BAY 2:
TOP ROW: All Outputs from Preamps
BOTTOM ROW: All Compressor Inputs, all FX inputs

PATCH BAY 3:
TOP ROW: All Compressor Outputs, all FX outputs
BOTTOM ROW: All DIGI and APOGEE INPUTS (1 through 16) (S/PDIF analog inputs)

PATCH BAY 4:
TOP ROW: All DIGI and APOGEE OUTPUTS (1 through 16) (S/Pdif analog outputs)
BOTTOM ROW: NOt much

PATCH BAY 5:
TOP ROW: All Line inputs from pre's, etc....
BOTTOM: All Headphone pre sends to FURMAN

With this setup as far as the pres go, all I need to do then is patch to the Ins on either the Apogee or the 002. If I track only 8 ins, it is the Apogee by far. Otherwise, just patch away. I would then need to patch from the Pre to the Compressor, but could have set it up to route through the compressors without patching, but I did not want that. This way I can select what pre goes to where and when... Pretty easy once it is labelleb. Doyle, buy a patchbay for 100 bucks. LIFE SAVER!

Photo diagram will come later, but that is a rough one.

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Doc

I think I understand you for the most part, my question is how specifically are you patching between your snake and your Mic pre. Are you running your snake to a 1/4 patchbay and running your Pre ins on another patchbay; connecting them with 1/4 cables. Sorry, I'm a little foggy on the best way to do this and want to make sure I grasp what you are doing. Thanks man.

Nevermind, I re-read it. Little slow today. That's basicall how I hve it setup. Thanks
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 04-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Chris,

The line/mic push botton in the front? but when pushed in, isn't that a line in/instrument pre?

Did you quit your day job man!! with all that investment I'm sure you have to be recording 24/7.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Cam,
Looking at my 002 now it has the buttons UP for Line/Inst. When pressedin it used the 002 Pre's that I have never used. That means that you run the 1 thru 8 In and out to a patchbay and run the Ins that way. Understand. I just bypass the 002 pres with my outboard pres.

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Doc

In most analog mixers you have a XLR mic input, an input and a line input. And what I always understood is that the mic XLR input and regular input will have the pre amplifier. But not the line in.

According to what you are saying, if I plug an instrument directly to channel 1 on the 002 it will not run through the pre amplifier? so... if I'm recording an instrument do I need a pre amp?

What would be the difference from inputs 5,6,7, or 8? and what would be the sense of having that push botton there? did they do it because some people may use all 8 inputs as line ins??? might as well just keep it as the 001.

Sorry I'm a little confused here.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Doc

In most analog mixers you have a XLR mic input, an input and a line input. And what I always understood is that the mic XLR input and regular input will have the pre amplifier. But not the line in.

According to what you are saying, if I plug an instrument directly to channel 1 on the 002 it will not run through the pre amplifier? so... if I'm recording an instrument do I need a pre amp?

What would be the difference from inputs 5,6,7, or 8? and what would be the sense of having that push botton there? did they do it because some people may use all 8 inputs as line ins??? might as well just keep it as the 001.

Sorry I'm a little confused here.
If you plug an instrument directly into the TRS line in on Channel 1-4, and have the mic/line switch set to "line", it will go directly in. You will likely get a signal of some sort, especially from an electronic keyboard. A passive guitar or bass input may be very weak going straight into the line input, where a DI box will be necessary to boost the level to an acceptable level and to load the pickups properly. The mic preamp (when the mic pre is engaged) and the line buffering amp (when the line in is engaged) serve 2 different purposes.

Some people might use all line ins, especially if they are using higher-quality external mic pre-amps or DI boxes rather than the built-in mic preamps of the 002. But it is nice to have the option of having 4 built in mic pre's, for spares or less-critical inputs if nothing else.

RP