Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 12:56 AM

Default which comp on distorded metal guitar?

Hi,

With which compressor do you have nice result on overdriven metal guitar ?
U know, the kind of compressor (and settings) that make the guitars really firm, juicy and giving them that nice crisp.

I have good result with PSP Vintage Warmer but this plug is too heavy for CPU on a track (or bus of multiple guitars) and I prefere to keep Vintage Warmer for mastering.

Thanks for sharing
Old 03-24-2006, 02:54 AM

Default Re: which comp on distorded metal guitar?

none, guitars should by dynamic
Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 AM

Well... depending on the effect you're going for...

I recently tracked some Metal Rhythm guitars for a project. If I remember correctly, I used about two tracks of a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis (LD 2 Yellow) and two more tracks of a Rectifier, each with a lot less distortion than if I was playing live. The stacked result was great... I didn't use any compression going in (though it's not unusual for me to use LIGHT compression before hitting the converters), but I added a Waves RC Compressor as an insert later.

To be honest, I got great results with the RC Compressor presets... there is one called "Crunch" and another simply called "Electric Guitar"... I was pleased enough that I didn't do any tweaking after that.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM

When overdriven electrics need compression (which is rare) I usually find that the BF 1176 handles things nicely. So glad it comes free with LE purchase! I've also become quite fond of the new Slightly Rude Compressor for guitars, bass, and vocals in a range of styles. It gives a fatter, warmer sound. But a really spiky gtr trk thru SRC might need to be followed by a limiter (Dyn III using Hard Limiting preset, probably), whereas the 1176 attack can be set fast enough to handle it.

Just about the only times I have had to use compression on a distorted and/or overdriven guitar was when recording a large amp rig, like a Marshall head through a 4X12 cab or similar, under conditions where it couldn't be turned up loud enough to really scream (like at a home studio in a suburban neighborhood).

I don't know about the particular characteristics you described as desirable, since how you process always depends on what the guitar track sounds like unprocessed, which changes every time. Besides, descriptions of sound are unavoidably highly subjective, and subject to context.

As an alternative to compression, try Recti-fi and/or Lo-fi for a really funky ugly nasty grungy sound.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Alesis 3630, After all it is just a guitar!!!!