Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Can't adjust buffer in PT 10 HD

I am having a problem after the upgrading from the Pro Tools 10 demo to licensed Pro Tools 10 HD where I cannot change my buffer settings. I have a Lynx AES16 and Lynx 2C.

Pro Tools is set to the lowest buffer setting (32) and will not allow a change. It worked before switching to HD. I've tried every conceivable combination in Pro Tools and the Lynx mixer and it will not budge. I am getting glitches all over the place with larger sessions so it has to be raised. I usually set it it to maximum in Nuendo and other daws that I've used (1024) as I monitor through hardware and don't care about latency.

I have HD without TDM. The menu item at the top of the Setup>playback engine shows my ASIO Lynx, as it should. When I click on harware setup>launch setup app, I get a window that should allow me to change my buffer size. It is the same with the other music programs I have that run on ASIO (Nuendo + Wavelab). Any change I make here to the buffer size is followed by a popup that says I have made changes and need to restart Pro Tools to take effect. But after reloading, Pro Tools does not end up making the change. It stays stuck at 32. I need it to be 1024. I think this is a bug with Pro Tools. Unfortunately it is a complete show stopper. Glitchy audio in record and playback. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dean
Old 10-13-2012, 05:10 PM

And if you change from the ASIO control panel without Pro Tools or anything else running and then start Pro Tools?

What ASIO driver version and what Lynx firmware version? Have you checked they are the latest?

There has been past issues with similar things, some mentioned here, some on Lynx forums.

Darryl
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Can't adjust buffer in PT 10 HD

you have to open the lynx software manually and change this setting. it will not "lauch" the app to do it. not sure why they have that button there as it has never worked. must also do it when PT is shut down.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 AM

I am using the latest Lynx drivers and firmware as of 2 weeks ago (last time I checked).

I have tried changing the settings in Lynx with PT shut down. And it doesn't seem to help. The glitching happened when I went from PT 10 demo to PT 10 HD licensed. Everything seemed to work fine with the demo. Because it was working, I didn't look at buffers in the demo so I don't know if the behavior was the same then.

Does that mean that if the buffer display in PT is 32 then it may not actually be 32? In the Lynx software I can lock the mixer and it will stay at 1024 but the feedback PT is giving me is a little confusing because it still shows the buffer to be at 32. If I change the buffers in Lynx without mixer lock on, launching PT will turn the buffer back to 32 in Lynx. So do I assume that even with mixer lock on and the Lynx showing 1024 it is actually 32?

Thanks

Dean
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM

I did another search (been searching for two days now) on this forum and found the solution!

Minimize additional I/O Latancy in playback engine needs to be unchecked.

I am guessing that because HD is primarily used with PT hardware it makes sense that this switch would be on. But for those like me it should not be the default setting.

Thanks for your help

Dean
Old 10-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Oh yes, good find. I think that one is also mentioned/explained in their firmware release notes.

Darryl