Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-01-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Confused about upgrade from PT 10 EDU to Perpetual Education License

I know this question has been asked many different ways here, but I also emailed Avid support about this. However, I am still uncertain so I was hoping for a clear answer.

I have "Pro Tools 10 for Institutions" license and I am seeking to get a one-time perpetual license for the latest version of Pro Tools AND I still would like to be able to access PT 10 for certain sessions so I purchased "Avid 1-year Updates + Support Plan for Pro Tools Teachers/Students Perpetual License Expired Plan"

When I contacted support, they said
Quote:
This is to inform you that if you will purchase a support plan, you can still use your license since it is a Perpetual Product, however once your Support Plan expires you can no longer get whatever latest version of Pro Tools will release and there will be no technical support. And before you get an upgrade, you need to surrender your Pro Tools 10 Institution. And please take note that this upgrade also includes Pro Tools 10. Thank you.
I understand I need to surrender my "Pro Tools 10 for Institution" license. However, I am trying to confirm that with the new license above I can do the following:
  1. I can run PT 10 while my 1 year support plan is active
  2. I can run and get updates for the most current version of PT while my 1 year support plan is active
  3. I can still run PT 10 AFTER my 1 year support plan expires
  4. I can still run the latest version of PT AFTER my 1 year support plan expires (obviously it will not receive updates when the plan expires)
Thank you so much for your help!
Rob
Old 12-01-2020, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Confused about upgrade from PT 10 EDU to Perpetual Education License

Quote:
Originally Posted by milet22 View Post
...I am trying to confirm that with the new license above I can do the following:
  1. I can run PT 10 while my 1 year support plan is active
  2. I can run and get updates for the most current version of PT while my 1 year support plan is active
  3. I can still run PT 10 AFTER my 1 year support plan expires
  4. I can still run the latest version of PT AFTER my 1 year support plan expires (obviously it will not receive updates when the plan expires)
Correct. The Update Plan Reinstatement provides a bundle that includes licenses for 10/11/12 as well as the current (12.6/higher) license when you surrender your Pro Tools 10 license. It's a perpetual (non-expiring) license and will authorize versions 10.0 up through anything released during your plan's term, even if you don't renew the Software Updates + Support Plan.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Confused about upgrade from PT 10 EDU to Perpetual Education License

Thank you @jeffro for clarifying!