Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Default MIDI Thru stops working after sequence playback stops

I have encountered a bizarre issue with external midi. Here is my setup, followed by the issue:

ProTools 10.3.9
Digi 002 Rack
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core running OSX 10.8
Korg Micro Kontrol 49 as controller via USB
External keyboard, in this case Yamaha MOXF6, although this issue exists with any external keyboard or module

I have a midi track output set to Avid 002 Rack, Port 2, Ch. 1
This has midi data on it, so when I hit play the sequence, it sends the midi to the external device.

HOWEVER, when I set the track on record and play from my controller live, nothing gets sent to the external midi device.

Yes, I have Midi Thru enabled.

Here is the BIZARRE thing: If I go to my Audio Midi Setup utility and hit Rescan Midi, suddenly everything works! The midi data played live from my controller successfully gets sent through to my external device, but as soon as I play the sequence (i.e. hit play from the transport), live midi through no longer works. So I have to go back and do another Rescan Midi, then it works again, until after the next time I play back my sequence.

To reiterate, a midi performance (sequence) plays back fine. But if I try to play live, it doesn't work, unless I use Rescan Midi in the Audio Midi setup, at which point it works until after the next time I play back the sequence, meaning I have to go back to Audio Midi and do another rescan.

I have searched the threads for this issue, but have found nothing specifically with this issue. Any ideas?

p.s. This issue is the same if I connect the controller via Midi as opposed to USB

Last edited by kelcarpenter; 11-11-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Additional detail
Old 11-17-2015, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Midi thru stops working after sequence playback stops

I have the same problem.
PT 11.2.1, Digi 003 Console w/ Driver 11.1.3, Yosemite 10.10.1 (yes I know I need to do some upgrades, and may resort to that in attempt to resolve).

I can create a blank session, add 1 Instrument track (or 1 MIDI track +1 Aux track, the outcome is the same for either config), set INs & OUTs appropriately for external keyboard and sample player, Record Enable, watch both MIDI In and MIDI Out LEDs flash on the 003 when hitting keys, and hear the audio just fine.

Now, record a couple of notes and stop, leaving Record Enabled, at this point things still work. BUT: hit "Play" and MIDI messages no longer route thru, even after hitting "Stop". The MIDI In light flashes when hitting a key, but no longer does the MIDI Out LED flash, nor does the sample player's Midi Activity light flash.

Prior to your suggestion I found I could close PT, power down the 003, power it back up, re-start PT, record enable the same track, and things work again. But just push Play once, and the MIDI path gets interrupted. I've traversed every option/preference at least 3 times and can't find a setting that leaves the configured routing intact after play.

So was happy to hear I'm not the only one with the issue, and just now tried your suggestion of hitting "Rescan MIDI" in the Midi Studio app.

When I did it, likewise I suddenly started hearing notes again, but about a second later PT crashed...

Avid: Help!?

Last edited by tommy b; 11-18-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:50 PM

Just updated OS to Yosemite 10.10.5 (on late 2013 iMac 27").

Same thing on MIDI Studio -> click "Rescan MIDI". I.e., notes play again for about a second, PT freezes (notes stop), PT disappears.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:33 PM

After 1.5 hours on the phone with Avid two days ago, and another 2.5 today... still unresolved.

Avid support person went through a series of "shotgun" tactics - wipe preferences, update driver, re-install PT, wipe iMac NVRAM, create a new user account to login under. Phooey; none were effective. Guy had no sectionalization skills whatsoever. Asked the same question about the MIDI connections in use no less than 4 times during the conversation. To questions like "Do you want me to create an Instrument track to test, or a MIDI + Aux Track?", he answered "yes". And sometimes he answered with silence; had to repeat questions several time. Aaarrrgggg...

Anyway, FWIW, today I took the step of updating from PT 11.2.1 to 11.3.1. Also not effective.

Can anyone confirm 100% that the route SHOULD be restored after play stops?
Old 02-24-2016, 03:46 PM

Default Midi Issue

I'm using my old Roland D-110 module on a session. I have set up the midi studio and recorded a part. When I return to the session. All is well until I stop playback. When stopped. Playing the midi controller there is no sound but the midi trk shows a signal but not in the aux track. Plus, in the midi editor clicking on a note I hear no sound as well. When I resume playback. The midi track plays back through the D-110. The midi trk is armed to record, The little green icon next to the transporter in on and midi thru is checked. Remember, When my session first loads everything works. Controller triggers the D-110 and I hear sound in the midi editor when clicking on a note. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Thanks…..

Last edited by Keniko; 03-07-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:57 PM

I'm having the same issue. See my post http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378166. Can someone please help?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Midi Issue

I just can't figure this out. There's no answers anywhere and I'm not alone with this issue. I figured out hitting rescan Midi studio in Midi studio set up everything works perfectly until I hit play….then Pro Tools crashes every time. Please Help. It's driving me nuts…..
Old 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Default Digi Tech Support Please Help !!!!

Please look at these threads. Thanks….

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=374143
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378166
Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Default Re: MIDI Thru stops working after sequence playback stops

Can Digi Tech Support Please Help !!! I can not continue with my project. It's extremely frustrating….
Old 03-08-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Digi Tech Support Please Help !!!

There is definitely a midi issue using external midi modules. I'm not alone with this issue. Please look at my recent posts..... I can not continue with my project. Thank you....

Last edited by Keniko; 03-09-2016 at 09:39 AM.