Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Exclamation people complaining about prices??!?

So I was looking for a small usb remote to control the transport when I'm not at my desk and I stumbled on two little products that I thought.. nice, that would work just fine if they are compatible with pt..

Untile I saw the prices......

The JLC sharpshot Very small push button controller at a very little price of $1,499.95 and you need to select one of the options card to connect it going from $129 to $199

The Media Control Station 2 it has a shuttle wheel but is priced at $499 sheesh almost as high as PT 10!

And then people complains of Avid product prices?!?

hehehe.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 AM

Default Re: people complaining about prices??!?

IMHO you cannot compare it like this.

1. different product, different market
2. the pro audio market has been shrinking for years, semipro project studios and self appointed home prodoosers put pressure on the prices; a lot of studios are closing
3. Comparing the usual upgrade prices of PT in the past, PT10 has been steep, especially because PT9 came just one year prior; and it is to be expected that PT11 64bit will also be steep
4. In addition to that many of The HD crowd, Avid's main and loyal users, are really pi/&%ed off, because PT10 will be the last version they can use with their old interfaces
5. Even dealers(I spoke to when buying my HD native) are not very happy with Avid for several reasons I don't wish to elaborate
6. the whole marketing of Avid around PT10 and HDX has not been very "fortunate" seeing the results

I like PT.
I like the DUC, although the people behind DTS seem to be a bit more uptight than before.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
IMHO you cannot compare it like this.

1. different product, different market
2. the pro audio market has been shrinking for years, semipro project studios and self appointed home prodoosers put pressure on the prices; a lot of studios are closing
3. Comparing the usual upgrade prices of PT in the past, PT10 has been steep, especially because PT9 came just one year prior; and it is to be expected that PT11 64bit will also be steep
4. In addition to that many of The HD crowd, Avid's main and loyal users, are really pi/&%ed off, because PT10 will be the last version they can use with their old interfaces
5. Even dealers(I spoke to when buying my HD native) are not very happy with Avid for several reasons I don't wish to elaborate
6. the whole marketing of Avid around PT10 and HDX has not been very "fortunate" seeing the results

I like PT.
I like the DUC, although the people behind DTS seem to be a bit more uptight than before.
Lol Yeah I know I was just doing a tongue in the cheek thing.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The Media Control Station 2 it has a shuttle wheel but is priced at $499 sheesh almost as high as PT 10!

And then people complains of Avid product prices?!?

hehehe.
I had an MCS2 several years ago... This is ancient technology. I think I paid less than $50 for it brand new. iirc, the shuttle wheel didn't work with PT5, which was the only part of it I was interested in... so I sold it. Guess I should have kept it since it's now worth $500.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM

The new Rackshot and keyshot controllers look pretty cool actually. But not for $2k.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?