Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-12-2015, 01:17 AM

Default Automation Breakpoints out of order after Nudge

So here's what happened: I selected an audio clip and pressed KP-Minus to nudge the clip back by one bar, and I had the "automation follows edit" option enabled because the clip had some automation. The result was that the pan automation actually doubled back onto itself in a way that would not be logically possible to automate. I took a screen capture because it was so weird. Naturally, I was very curious to see what would happen when PT tried to play that weird automation, so I played it, and I got this error message, and then PT froze up, and I had to force quit.

Has anyone else had this issue? I tried reproducing it, and sure enough, it happens every time, which is kind of surprising with an established, professional software package like PT. Usually it's pretty tough to find a "class A" bug that's so easy to reproduce.

Last edited by jeffro; 05-12-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Renamed the thread from "Woah.. check out this crazy bug" so we could find/track it it easier.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Woah.. check out this crazy bug

Yep, it sure looks like a bug to me
Old 05-12-2015, 01:55 AM

I knew I had seen this before somewhere.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=323238
Old 05-12-2015, 02:00 AM

So at least PT10 and PT11 are affected. Anyone still using PT9 or PT8, could you try it out?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:58 PM

totally had this before... silly.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:06 PM

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully this is fixed in PT 12. I've also been having another automation problem and I'm wondering if it's related: It happens when I use the smart tool to trim the volume or pan automation so that it "jumps" from one point to another, as opposed to gradually changing over a section of time. Every once in a while, when the playhead passes a jump in the automation, it won't read it. Instead, the volume or pan will drift into place over a few seconds, instead of jumping instantly.

Since this only happens when there are right angles in the automation lines, I've been making very fast ramps that happen in the space of a split second, instead of instantaneous jumps. This seems to solve the problem, but it's very tedious to do it this way.

The weird thing is, I used to have this exact same bug wayyyyyy back in the '90s when I was using Deck II.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Avid

Question Re: Woah.. check out this crazy bug

Can't repro the breakpoints out of order after nudge in 11.3.1 or 12.0 (Mac), so I must be missing a step or setting. Are all the breakpoints in line with the Clip's start/end before the nudge? Are you in Grid mode for all of your editing, creating automation and nudging?

Regarding your other issue, might be best to start a new thread and list your pref settings.

Last edited by jeffro; 05-12-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: fixed version #s.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Can't repro the breakpoints out of order after nudge in 11.3.1 or 12.0 (Mac), so I must be missing a step or setting. Are all the breakpoints in line with the Clip's start/end before the nudge? Are you in Grid mode for all of your editing, creating automation and nudging?
Okay, I tried some experiments with my bug. I tried all four modes -- shuffle, slip, spot, and grid (and relative grid), and the bug happened regardless. I also tried changing the main counter, and it happens in any counter type: min:sec, bars|beats, etc. Then I tried changing the track's timebase selector to samples, and boom, it stopped happening. Then I changed the timebase back to ticks, and the bug didn't come back. So apparently, once the timebase has been changed to samples, the bug is gone for good.

Also, I think it might be relevant that the track was originally created with a tick-based timebase.

P.S. Yes, all the breakpoints are in line with the Clip's start/end before the nudge.

Last edited by jeremyseanbell; 05-14-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: answering jeffro's question
Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyseanbell View Post
Okay, I tried some experiments with my bug. I tried all four modes -- shuffle, slip, spot, and grid (and relative grid), and the bug happened regardless. I also tried changing the main counter, and it happens in any counter type: min:sec, bars|beats, etc. Then I tried changing the track's timebase selector to samples, and boom, it stopped happening. Then I changed the timebase back to ticks, and the bug didn't come back. So apparently, once the timebase has been changed to samples, the bug is gone for good.

Also, I think it might be relevant that the track was originally created with a tick-based timebase.

P.S. Yes, all the breakpoints are in line with the Clip's start/end before the nudge.
Thanks so much for the detailed followup. I was able to find the bug report and have added your info to help Engineering isolate the cause.

I have logged it here and created a KB article with your workaround.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 PM

Great, happy to help!