How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Audio Dropouts

Will do..

BTW Mykhal, the digilink that must be short is only between 2 HD IOs, not between the card and the IO. They have 50' digilink from the card.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
Will do..

BTW Mykhal, the digilink that must be short is only between 2 HD IOs, not between the card and the IO. They have 50' digilink from the card.
thanks for the correction

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 AM

Problem Solved.

Seems it was Time Machine causing the glitch when it would start up and when it would finish up. Never happened with my old G5 and TDM system.

Must be a resource conflict with OSX and the HDX system. Seems like Apple wants its built in apps to run smooth at the expense of audio processes.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
Problem Solved.

Seems it was Time Machine causing the glitch when it would start up and when it would finish up. Never happened with my old G5 and TDM system.

Must be a resource conflict with OSX and the HDX system. Seems like Apple wants its built in apps to run smooth at the expense of audio processes.
From Avid:

"Disable Time Machine
It is NOT recommended to use Time Machine on the same hard drive that you're recording to in Pro Tools. This can result in DAE Error -9131 even if you have Time Machine disabled. Even if you're using Time Machine to backup your system drive, it is still recommended to disable it when using Pro Tools as it still uses system resources to back up the data.

Click on the 'Time Machine' preference.
Move the slider to the Off position."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks Park for the link.I backup to a remote drive with no pro tools files or sessions. Timemachine was never a problem in the past but seems to now be with HDX.

I know all the things they want shut down like Airport, Bluetooth etc. They never got in the way and only Time Machine, even going to a Time capsule and no system or audio drives, seems to steal the CPU for very brief periods of time while starting and stopping.

Just a heads up to anyone who migrated from HD to HDX and suddenly gets these dropouts.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:21 PM

I'm experiencing random dropouts. Pro Tools 11.2.2, OSX 10.9.5, on a brand-new Mac Pro. (It did not happen on the Mac Pro that's only a few weeks older, and which is going back to Apple for an unrelated hardware issue.) It happens on both playback and bounce. The dropouts last about a second each, and are not repeatable. I tried recording some audio from a mic through the Mbox 3 and the audio records correctly, but I can hear the dropouts through my cans as I record.

I've also tried every HW buffer size, and already have "ignore errors" unchecked, but tried it both ways.

It is not the disk drive. I copied a project to the internal SSD (wicked fast) and it made no difference.

As I composed this I thought maybe it was the Time Machine backup. But, no. Turning off Time Machine made no difference. Neither did turning off Bluetooth and Backblaze (neither of which have ever caused issues in the past, even on my one-lung laptop).

I have also reinstalled Pro Tools from the download DMG.

Editing this way is severely inconvenient. But delivery is impossible, so I'm virtually dead in the water.

Craig Good
Teller of stories, some of them true.

Last edited by clgood; 11-30-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Do you have PT10 co-installed? If so try opening it up in 10 and see if the problem persists.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zull View Post
Do you have PT10 co-installed? If so try opening it up in 10 and see if the problem persists.
No. I de-installed 10 (really LE) when I got 11. At least I'm pretty sure. The Uninstaller I found, which didn't work, must have been a 10 holdover.

Thanks.

Craig Good
Old 11-30-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgood View Post
I'm experiencing random dropouts. Pro Tools 11.2.2, OSX 10.9.5, on a brand-new Mac Pro.
Notice the "brand-new" up there?

Well, I'm telling my story in case someone else in the future has mysterious dropouts after setting up a brand-new computer, because the fact that it is brand-new really matters to the story. Get ready to laugh. Go ahead. I have it coming.

I just happened to pop open the iZotope Alloy 2 plugin on one of my tracks. It asked for authorization. Because brand-new computer.

Guess what iZotope trial mode does.

Yup. Random silences.

So, future tearers-out-of-too-little-hair, check those plugins.

Craig Good
Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgood View Post
Guess what iZotope trial mode does.

Yup. Random silences.
Oh man. Well, you tracked it down. We've all had moments like these.