Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM

Default \" * 192k not supported with Pro Tools LE\"

Okay, first of all, I have to say that I'm extremely excited to see the release of M-Powered. As a Digi-001 user on a G4, I was waiting for something like this so I can more affordably upgrade to my G5 and take ProTools with me.

Second, I was checking out the "hardware comparison chart" between all the Digi products and did anyone else notice that under the columns for the FW1814, FW410, and AP192 is an footnote indicating:

"* 192k not supported with Pro Tools LE"

Now, I have to ask, why does this footnote exist? Does the FW1814, FW410, and AP192 work with PTLE? I was under the impression that the M-Audio products would only with with M-Powered.

Curious,
-Jim
Old 04-07-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: \" * 192k not supported with Pro Tools LE\"

Yes, they work, but only at sample rates up to 96k, which is the same sample-rate cut-off as the 002 LE modules. I think it's just the wording that's confusing - "ProTools LE" may include "M-Powered" as they have the same feature set and limitations. Some of the M-Audio hardware is capable of 192khz with other applications, so they must've felt that footnote was necessary to point out there's a software limit at 96k no matter what hardware you use.

My guess as to why would be the pretty obvious - trying to maintain the distance between LE (which includes M-Powered) and the more expensive HD systems.

Also, 192k session w/plugs would hit a host CPU system pretty hard, not even sure if that's even a feasible setup in the real world.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, they work with PTLE,
Really?!? Holy Hell!! That is awesome news! Since I already own PTLE, I'll certainly be cashing in my Digi-001 for a FW410 and HELLO NEW G5!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, they work with PTLE,
Really?!? Holy Hell!! That is awesome news! Since I already own PTLE, I'll certainly be cashing in my Digi-001 for a FW410 and HELLO NEW G5!!!
it shouldn't matter, I believe digi is giving away PTMPowered for Free to owners of the approved Hardware. It's not like you'll have to pay for the software if you bought a FW410.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if PTLE will run on the MAudio hardware. I think you might need to download the "M-Powered" version of LE specifically in order to use the MAudio hardware. Check with digidesign about this before you go out and purchase (or sell off) anything.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-07-2005, 02:38 PM

ProTools LE and ProTools M-Powered are two different versions of software, but they both have almost identical features.

ProTools LE only works with Digi hardware (as far as I know)

ProTools M-Powered only works with M-Audio hardware. It is not free. It costs $299. I'm sure in the very near future it will be sold as a hardware + software bundle just like the MBox, 002, etc. Their is a free demo that you can download though.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:42 PM

Okay, I'm officially confused on many levels here:

Quote:
It's not like you'll have to pay for the software if you bought a FW410.
When you say software, are you referring to PTLE or PTMP? PTMP is sold for $299 and is not bundled with FW410, right?

Quote:
The one thing I'm not sure about is if PTLE will run on the MAudio hardware
That, exactly, was what I was asking in this post.

Quote:
I think you might need to download the "M-Powered" version of LE specifically
So there will be another version of PTLE that will, indeed, be friendly to the M-Audio gear (or "M-Powered" as the cool kids say)?

-Confused
Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Also, 192k session w/plugs would hit a host CPU system pretty hard, not even sure if that's feasible.
Digital Performer (and maybe Logic Pro) can handle 192khz.

rMacBook Pro 2.2 gHz Core i7, 10.10.3
16 GB RAM
MOTU 828mkII, PT 12.1 HD
Axiom 61, 2xArtist Mix
Old 04-07-2005, 04:13 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry, but despite my best efforts, my post seems to have been misleading. it should be pretty obvious that:

PTLE works with Digidesign Hardware
PT M-Powered works with select M-Audio hardware

and that's it.

One doesn't work with the other - you need matching hardware/software combo.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that in Digi's own literature they don't always make a distinction between PTLE and M-Powered, sometimes calling them both "LE" - could just be a typo on their part, or the way they discuss it internally... who knows.

Anyway, hope that clears that part of it up.

Quote:
Digital Performer (and maybe Logic Pro) can handle 192khz
Yeah, no Sh*t sherlock. The Audiophile 192 which is an M-Powered M-Audio hardware PCI card even supports it, but the software doesn't, so it's an obvious choice by Digi. Like I said before this is most likely to keep the gap between LE/M and HD, but could also be a preventative measure to keep people from trying to run a 24 bit 192k session on an iBook 933 which would yeild pretty pathetic results. I would imagine trying to run a 192k Logic Pro session on the same iBook would be equally worthless - just because the software/hardware supports it doesn't mean a host based system can handle it.