Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Stereo Width and Panning

Physically recording double tracks is the most effective method, because even with that you could still apply some of the following techniques and still get a wider effect.

The delay are a start, although you could try a lightly longer delay time. I think the Cooper Time Cube, an old school device renown for being a good stereo widener, has its delays fixed at something like 13 and 17 ms.

Adding a little pitch drift into the mix will help enhance the effect, which is why tape based modulation was always effective back in the day, because thstnas done by speeding up and slowing down the duplicate track, which effects pitch. This what the Abbey Road ADT essentially did. However, you could always find osome other type of modulating effect. Although, you can achieve a similar type of effect with a tape delay, that has modulation or wow & flutter features, like H-Delay or the new bx_delay 2500. Just remember to set the feedback ultra low.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/reel-adt
https://www.waves.com/plugins/h-delay-hybrid-delay
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...delay2500.html

You can use reverb as well or instead of the above treatment and pan that to then complimentary side. I don’t think you’re looking for a particularly long decay time, just long enough to place the guitar where you want it in the track.

If you have a DI recording you can run that through some other complimentary amp effect and pan that to the opposite side as well.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 AM

Always double track the performance. Leads can be better to duplicate the track and offset -/+3db each side. Create a width also known as harmonizing.

One: I always double track the guitars so you have slight variations for left and right. Hard panning each to L and R will give a great wide feel and effect.

Second: when recording I always will split the signal to capture a clean direct signal and use an amp modeler for unlimited options. Each side can be a different amp thus making a great wide feel. I use Amplitube 4 and will put Mesa boogie amps on L and R. L-Dual Rec and R Mark IV. Each tonality makes a great wall of sound that when panned is wide and thick.

Third: Duplicate the mono track and apply a slight panning delay to one side (I use right side) a delay will give the illusion of space and thus appear wide.

Hope this helps.
Happy recording!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Plugin Alliance bx_stereomaker
Yeah, this is not a bad plugin. I have this one myself. I have the impression it does s little bit of saturation to the signal, but I’m not certain.

As for the original post...

Forget trying mid-side processing as that requires stereo info to work.

The delay is a good start, you can try extending the delay time. The Cooper TimeCube is quite infsmaous for its characteristic delay times of around 14 & 16ms, you could try something like that.

It also helps if you do something a bit different for each side. The more different you can make them sound, the more effective it would be. Of course it’s easy to go overboard with this.

Try a bit of eq, saturation/distortion, try adding two different, very short reverbs. Or if you feel like spending s bit of cash, you can grab the Waves Reel ADT when it comes up on sale. That thing is a model on the old school technique they used in the Abbey Road studio way back when.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:23 AM

I would second Waves ADT here. It has preset like '2 guitars better than 1' or something - and I love it on guitar.

@Rhodesholar In general there are two kinds of 'wideners'. One is real widener that just makes wider a source that is already stereo. This is about MS processing, but this is not what you need in your case. THe other kind should be called 'stereorizer' instead of 'widener', and this kind of plugin _generates_ stereo information from a mono source.

All 'stereorizers' use the same principle - they duplicate the source, pan it left and right and modify left and right slightly differently in order to generate that 'side' information. Though, the way they modify the signal varies. It can be pitch shifting, time shifting, EQ, ....

And, you always have stereo delays and reverbs.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gone View Post
I would second Waves ADT here. It has preset like '2 guitars better than 1' or something - and I love it on guitar.
While Reel ADT is good there is some tweaking necessary to get the sound one wants. I know because I've been through it a number of times. This is one of those plugins where the presets really are just starting points.

QAPLA!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
While Reel ADT is good there is some tweaking necessary to get the sound one wants. I know because I've been through it a number of times. This is one of those plugins where the presets really are just starting points.
Can’t say I’ve reslly used the presets much. It’s almost always sound from scratch when I’ve used it. Mind you, it didn’t stop me saving my own presets.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
Can’t say I’ve reslly used the presets much. It’s almost always sound from scratch when I’ve used it. Mind you, it didn’t stop me saving my own presets.
I hear you on the latter. There are times I just don't know exactly what I want or where to start so I'll take a trip through the presets and end up modifying them to the point they bear little resemblance to what was started with. Especially with a plugin where I don't fully understand all the concepts enough to start from scratch

QAPLA!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I hear you on the latter. There are times I just don't know exactly what I want or where to start so I'll take a trip through the presets and end up modifying them to the point they bear little resemblance to what was started with. Especially with a plugin where I don't fully understand all the concepts enough to start from scratch
Yeah, don’t get me wrong, there are times where I will go preset surfing, especially if I’m looking for a new idea to try out. I just haven’t don’t it with the Reel ADT.

Although, you could try and get hold of Geoff Emerick to see if he has some setting suggestions for you.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Something that works for me is to:

1. Duplicate the track, pan it hard right (original track hard left)

2. Shift pitch by about +6

3. Add a delay of about 14ms (100% wet)

4. Send both tracks through a chorus effect to create some "width"
Old 04-27-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Playing the part twice is the best way.
Hands-down