Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Default ProTools 9.0.6 on Mac OSX 10.8.2 - it's running but...

I just migrated my apps from my MacPro which was running 10.7.2 and PT 9.0.6 to a new MBP Retina 15" running OSX 10.8.2.

Firstly, this was one of the most seamless migrations I've done - I've done a few and they were usually painful.
Even the stuff that isn't meant to work in 10.8 is working thus far.

I can launch ProTools 9.0.6, open sessions, create new ones etc etc but I can't get any audible signals coming out via any source - internal aggregate or my Focusrite Forte.

I am guessing this is an incompatibility with 10.8 and PT9 - no audio.

Should I just get on with it and upgrade to PT10?
I'm not being cheap by using PT9 - I was just wanting to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get it to work.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Default Re: ProTools 9.0.6 on Mac OSX 10.8.2 - it's running but...

it's a unsupported rig but I'd try reinstalling the Focusrite drivers first
this is why migration is not recommended for high level apps like DAWs and NLEs, the drivers are rarely correct

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 AM

I just did the exact same thing, with the exception that my older OS had PT 9.0.3 on it, so I ran the PT 9.0.6 updater after upgrading to ML. I have audio, I'm using a TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 interface.

From what I've read, the 9.0.5 installer won't work if run it from ML, but if you migrate from an older OS that has PT 9 installed and then run the 9.0.6 updater, it seems to be ok.

Does your interface work with other programs? Like Craig said, I would try running the installer for your audio interface drivers, and if that fails run the PT 9.0.6 updater again.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM

I usually agree about clean installs of pro apps but in this case I was pleasantly surprised.

Logic ran just fine and recognised the Forte as did iTunes and Reason (also migrated).

I just downloaded a trial version of PT10 so I'm going to see how that works.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I usually agree about clean installs of pro apps but in this case I was pleasantly surprised.
Me too.

I haven't done any extensive work yet, this partition is just a proving ground for 10.8. Once I've done some more testing I will rebuild it with a clean install, but I was very surprised at how well everything transitioned, especially considering I updated from snow leopard. Only had to update 2 apps, Pro Tools and GIMP, everything else seems to work perfectly so far... and all in all most everything seems to load faster.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Default My problem!

Man oh man, do I hate Avid bugs. SO I also just purchased the new 15'' MBP Retina and it's running on OS X 10.8.2. Bummer, right? It shouldn't be!

I borrowed my girlfriends older MBP, set up remote DVD/CD and put in my pro tools 9 installation disk. This version is Pro tools 9.0.0, I'm pretty sure. The installation is going smooth but stops at the final Running Package Scriptspart.

Here is where it gets weird: I see a pro tools icon at the bottom on my dock. When I click it, it reads "You can't use this version of the application "Pro Tools" with this version of OS X.----You have "Pro tools" 9.0"

SO, what's a guy supposed to do? I bought this laptop with the 16gb upgrade to finally have PT at a portable, reliable level. I'm already having trouble with my brand new mac.

Anyone have any ideas? I have NOT installed my avid mbox 3rd gen drivers or any iLok drivers. My girlfriends computer did not fall asleep and neither did mine. That's about all the info I guess I could come up with at this time...

Thank you guys! Help me get my PT's to work! Or at least tell me to wait for Avids slow programmers to make [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] compatible. I cannot afford pt10 atm.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Default Re: My problem!

what bug, 9 was never written with 10.8 and gatekeeper in mind
that's why it not officially supported

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM

To be fair to Avid and any SW developer, if the products are not qualified to run on certain systems then its up to the user to check the specs before they upgrade. Avid have a page of officially supported cofigs - its up to the user to decide if they want to try and see if unsupported SW will work. Otherwise don't upgrade until you are sure your stuff will work.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM

Default Re: My problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharla View Post
Man oh man, do I hate Avid bugs. SO I also just purchased the new 15'' MBP Retina and it's running on OS X 10.8.2. Bummer, right? It shouldn't be!

I borrowed my girlfriends older MBP, set up remote DVD/CD and put in my pro tools 9 installation disk. This version is Pro tools 9.0.0, I'm pretty sure. The installation is going smooth but stops at the final Running Package Scriptspart.

Here is where it gets weird: I see a pro tools icon at the bottom on my dock. When I click it, it reads "You can't use this version of the application "Pro Tools" with this version of OS X.----You have "Pro tools" 9.0"

SO, what's a guy supposed to do? I bought this laptop with the 16gb upgrade to finally have PT at a portable, reliable level. I'm already having trouble with my brand new mac.

Anyone have any ideas? I have NOT installed my avid mbox 3rd gen drivers or any iLok drivers. My girlfriends computer did not fall asleep and neither did mine. That's about all the info I guess I could come up with at this time...

Thank you guys! Help me get my PT's to work! Or at least tell me to wait for Avids slow programmers to make [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] compatible. I cannot afford pt10 atm.
There is no bug. PT9 is not officially supported with 10.8.

However, some of us have gotten it to work on Mountain Lion. If you actually read this thread, I have already said how I got it working. But since this is not officially supported by AVID, YMMV.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Just reporting back - I'm getting audio - everything seems to be working.

I'm going to open a large session I was working on and see how it goes with plug-ins etc but so far so good.

Just to recap:
• MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.7/16GB/768SSD
• Mac OSX 10.8.2
• ProTools 9.0.6
• Older USB iLok
• 3rd party plug-ins incl Iztope Ozone 5/Stutter Edit/Nectar/Iris/Alloy, StylusRMX etc
• Focusrite Forte USB2.0 interface via MacBook Pro USB3.0 (currently running Forte on bus power only - works fine - can use walwart to increase gain and get phantom power, full 192kHz etc.
• Migrated ProTools from TimeMachine backup - system was OSX 10.7.3 MacPro