Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Default Do I need multiple reverb Aux returns for this?

If i have 5 mono tracks that I want to send to a reverb but have the the reverb in different locations for each track, do i need multiple mono reverbs?

I first assumed I could have my mono tracks sending to a stereo reverb and they would only play back on the stereo reverb based on where the mono send was panned. (Kind of like the stereo return hosting a bunch of different mono signals) But now I'm realizing that regardless of where the mono send is panned, the reverb still plays back hard left and hard right where the return is panned.

The point of all this was so I could have a bunch of mono signals using the same reverb but going to a different mono location, i figured if the return was stereo then I could just pick wherever in the stereo spectrum that I wanted to, but it just comes back as full hard left/right stereo.

SO, in this case do i need to make multiple mono reverb sends for each instrument and pan each aux return to where I want each instruments reverb? Theres no way to have one stereo reverb hosting multiple tracks reverbing to a different location?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Do I need multiple reverb Aux returns for this?

what reverb(s) are you trying to use?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-19-2015, 04:46 PM

You are essentially stereo-izing your tracks by adding a stereo reverb.

Think of it like having 2 guitars/amps in a room. You can move them from both in the middle to one on left side of the room and the other on the right, and while placement influences the reflections, the 'reverb' of both will still basically fill the room (it doesn't strictly follow the placement of each amp).

If you want the reverb to follow the stereo placement of the track then you could try one of the following:
  • Put a reverb on each track
  • Send each track to a mono Aux with a mono reverb panned to match the dry tracks
  • Send all tracks to a mono Aux track with a mono reverb and automate the panning of that Aux track to match the panning of each track at the time needed
Does that help?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
what reverb(s) are you trying to use?
Rc24/48, QL Spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
You are essentially stereo-izing your tracks by adding a stereo reverb.

Think of it like having 2 guitars/amps in a room. You can move them from both in the middle to one on left side of the room and the other on the right, and while placement influences the reflections, the 'reverb' of both will still basically fill the room (it doesn't strictly follow the placement of each amp).

If you want the reverb to follow the stereo placement of the track then you could try one of the following:
  • Put a reverb on each track
  • Send each track to a mono Aux with a mono reverb panned to match the dry tracks
  • Send all tracks to a mono Aux track with a mono reverb and automate the panning of that Aux track to match the panning of each track at the time needed
Does that help?
Yah i get all that i was just more wondering if there was a way to do it without creating a separate reverb for each mono location I wanted. Panning automation wouldn't work for my scenario.

Looks like the easiest way for to me to do things will just be to create a few different mono returns pointing to different locations. But then ill need a different reverb for each of my tracks assuming I want to keep the reverb close to its original dry signal and not clashing with another tracks reverb.. that kinda sucks.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 AM

Why don't you just try the regular thing with a aux and sends, but with a multiple mono version of the reverb? It should at least give the impression of the reverb return following send pan. It most certainly will behave differently.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
Yah i get all that i was just more wondering if there was a way to do it without creating a separate reverb for each mono location I wanted. Panning automation wouldn't work for my scenario.

Looks like the easiest way for to me to do things will just be to create a few different mono returns pointing to different locations. But then ill need a different reverb for each of my tracks assuming I want to keep the reverb close to its original dry signal and not clashing with another tracks reverb.. that kinda sucks.
Yeah, that's kind of just the way stereo reverb works. While it's more common to bus tracks to an aux with a reverb, it sounds like putting a (mono) reverb directly on each track might better accomplish what you are after in this case.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Why don't you just try the regular thing with a aux and sends, but with a multiple mono version of the reverb? It should at least give the impression of the reverb return following send pan. It most certainly will behave differently.
I just tried this. A multiple mono Dverb on a aux track, a stereo send on a track that goes to the aux, and the pan on the send decides where in the stereo field the reverb is placed. Works perfect. Regular stereo Dverb on the aux, no worky. In case anyone's interested.