Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Volume of bounced file not as loud as original

I have only one clip on the timeline. Track volume is at zero db. I bounce to disk. Import the bounced clip to timeline, track volume at zero db, and it is not as loud. My ears and the master fader bars agree, and you can even see that the waveform is slightly smaller.

Here you can see, over the course of seven generations of bouncing and importing, the waveform has progressively shrunk:

Is it supposed to do that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm using PT LE 6.4 on Mac OS 10.3.2 with Mbox 1. (I would've posted under "legacy products" but I don't see these listed there.)

Last edited by jackbensonite; 01-14-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-13-2015, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Volume of bounced file not as loud as original

can you match up the bounced file and the original clip, and phase invert one of them? a mathematical kind of check.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM

I'll try...
Old 01-13-2015, 05:01 PM

Ok I tried the phase invert (I assume it's AudioSuite > Other > Invert), and you can still hear audio, although it's much less loud now. To test that I am correctly phase inverting, I did the same thing with just a duplicate of the original clip and they canceled out completely, no sound.

Would it have anything to do with the conversion process upon importing? When I import a bounced file, PT says because the file is not mono, it has to convert it, and it makes two new mono files which get imported to a stereo track. I'm going to try to check on this.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbensonite View Post
Would it have anything to do with the conversion process upon importing? When I import a bounced file, PT says because the file is not mono, it has to convert it, and it makes two new mono files which get imported to a stereo track.
I would guess you probably have it there.
A 6db mono/stereo thing...
Old 01-13-2015, 05:10 PM

The same problem occurs when bouncing mono tracks and importing them, when there's no conversion during importing.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM

Sorry I guess we replied at the same time. It can't be a stereo/mono thing, it happens even with just mono. Anyway, I just want to say thanks for your help, at least we've eliminated a couple things.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:02 PM

Please upload a screenshot of the mixer at the time of the bounce with a master fader,

and the "bounce to disk" dialogue,

maybe things will be clearer that way.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 PM

It's pan law -- when you have a mono track panned center, it's reduced in volume by the PT mixer's pan law, which is -2.5dB for your version of PT. So each of your bounces should be 2.5dB softer than the previous one.

If you do the phase invert null test, just boost the bounce by 2.5dB or reduce the original by that amount and they'll cancel.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It's pan law -- when you have a mono track panned center, it's reduced in volume by the PT mixer's pan law, which is -2.5dB for your version of PT. So each of your bounces should be 2.5dB softer than the previous one.
I don't remember if there is a "mono - summed" bounce option in earlier versions, that's why I wanted to see which options he tried in the bounce dialogue..

Bouncing a mono sum should result in the same level.