Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 10:11 PM

Default Anyone use JoeMeeks VC1Q?

Just wondering if any of you use this piece. I do hip hop and dance, so I'm not looking for a pristine pre (like Grace or RNP). So this unit seems like a good choice. I would love to get some other opinions from DUC'ers. I'm particularly interested in the quality of the a-d conversion with the spdif upgrade.

Would this be suitable as a front end to everything going to PT? That is, mainly creations from my MPC-400 and the occasional gtr/bass/vox.

Any feedback appreciated!

All opinions welcomed!
Old 03-05-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Anyone use JoeMeeks VC1Q?

Bump. Anyone?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:28 AM

Hello!

I used to use a VC1Q a couple of years ago. It's a good unit and yes it definitely has an aggresive, non pristine sound to it. The Joe Meek stuff has color to it, but it's good - maybe just what you're looking for. Give it a shot. I like the E.Q. section of it. It's the same as the VC5 Meekqualizer - I used to have one of those also - a nice E.Q. I'm thinking about getting the BombFactory plug-in version of it - the demo sounded really nice.

But for now, I'm really enjoying my Avalon vt737sp. It's a very sweet sounding pre, but I can crank the input for a touch of distortion when I need it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 07:31 AM

I've recently done some research into this piece of gear myself. My understanding is that Joe Meek stuff is definately a "colored" sound, that is great for the price. I know that in their lower end stuff there has been some complaints about them being noisy, but I don't think this model pertains to that complaint.

As far as the A/D goes, this fact remains; everyone one pretty much uses the same chip set to do PCM a/d, it's all about the quality of the analoge componets going in (of course there are many exceptions in the highier price range). In this price range though, it won't hurt, but it won't be any better than anything else out there.

To be honest though, this is all research I've done on message boards and magazine reviews. I would love to hear someone's opinion that has actually used one with their ProTools setup.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:28 AM

I have a VC1Q,but I don't have the digital card for it. The unit itself is OK . It doesn't have a ton of headroom, so you need to set up a -10 input for its channel. But I guess you wouldn't have to worry about that with the digital input. I like the EQ a lot. I've never been happy with the enhancer/de-esser section. The comp is not very easy to set up, it's really touchy. But it can sound great on some sources. I have better pres and comps now ,but I still use it often.Watch out for compressor overshoots!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 09:48 PM

Thanks all for the feedback! I've been using the modest VC3 on all my recordings, including this:

mp3.com/shag_williams

And people usually like my sound. So I thought the VC1Q would be a considerable step up. The spdif out would allow me to bypass the 001 converters. Considering the VC1Q or the M-Audio Tampa. I think this would make a good shoot out!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:34 PM

Yeah, I'd like to hear that Tampa.VERY Interesting.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:39 AM

Just a comment or four. Joe Meek ccompressors, like all optical compressors, are slow reacting (lazy, if you will). So fast transients will get through. It's not a limiter by any means nor was it meant to be. I am a long time Joe Meek user so I am a bit biased but your best bet is to give everything in your price range a listen. As far the lacking of headroom...hardly. This device is not meant for the people who set everything by reading meter .vs using your ears. Hit the compressors hard. Much harder than non-optical type. The Joe Meek sound isn't for everyone but can sound great on everything when used properly.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by groove guru:
Yeah, I'd like to hear that Tampa.VERY Interesting.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, this would be a great shoot out. I think it's really wierd that the TAMPA won a PAR award, but it's comparitively hard to find reviews/user comments on it. Hopefully, some TAMPA users will step up with some comparisons on this forum.

Anyway, thanks Groove for the insight on the Joe Meek De esser, very interesting stuff.