Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2000, 11:04 AM

Default Question for Meek VC1Q’ers - Others welcome too.

I have a home studio doing mostly power pop type stuff. Looking to improve up my vocal tracks, I’m considering a Joe Meek VC1Q. Currently my only pre choices are the 001 and my Mackie 1402 VZL. Some posts have said unless you’re going to spend over a $1000 on pre’s, don’t even bother. Others seem to be happy with their $500 range pre’s. Does the VC1Q blow away the 001 and Mackie pre’s? Can I run the VC1Q directly into the 001’s S/PDIF input? Will life be grand???

------------------
bassmac
Old 12-13-2000, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Question for Meek VC1Q’ers - Others welcome too.

Good question. I've been wondering about the Joe Meek stuff myself, people seem to like it. And it's kinda cheap.
Old 12-13-2000, 02:25 PM

and what about cheaper TLA stuff like the 5050? Will these be better than the 001 pre's?
Old 12-13-2000, 10:30 PM

I use the VC1Q and while it is better than the 001's pre's, I wish I would have just saved more $ and waited. Since I have no other outboard compressor, it is nice as far as controlling levels to tape. Plug a direct guitar/bass in and it blows the 001 away. Vocals(my main concern, thru a TLM 103) are a different story. I was hoping the VC1Q would give my vocals the "bigness" that I couldn't get from the 001. Better yes; but not $500 better. That only came when I got my Manley Monoblock($1300). Now I've got the Meek VC1Q, Bellari RP220, & Presonus Blue Tube collecting dust when I'm not tracking drums & other multi mic apps. I didn't take the advice of others to save up for the best pre's, but I wish I had. I'll pass it on to you. Track scratch tracks, pre-produce, etc for now, because when your new Manley, API, Neve, Avalon, Grace arrives, you'll want to go back and re-track it all. I know that's not what you probably want to hear, but how bad do you want that Grammy?
Old 12-14-2000, 06:26 AM

DFatz1,

Thanks for sharing your (costly) experiences. Very interesting - that’s exactly what I want to hear. As with everything else in life, if it doesn’t do what you want it to, it’s a waste of money no matter how much you paid.

It’s hard for us 001 users to swallow the fact that a good quality pre is going to cost more than our 001. It reminds me of the old days of buying a record player for $150, and then spending three times as much for the needle cartridge.

What made you go with the Manley as opposed to the others you mentioned? And would you still choose the Manely?

------------------
bassmac
Old 12-15-2000, 12:35 AM

Bassmac-
For starters, I think that it's important to realize that the 001/LE package is a steal. I know people that "mistakingly" paid $2,500 for a 1680, with far less than half the power that we now have. You shouldn't linger on how much more additional extras are as compared to the 001. Again, how bad do want to meet your goals?
As for the Manley, I love it. Although part of me wishes that I would have saved another $700 for the two channel one. The fact is though, I really didn't have the $1300 for the Monoblock; I just barely made it happen. But while I'm poor now, I now have the confidence in my gear and my sound to commit to "keeper" tracks. In all honesty(and I'm sure some on the DUC will argue this) I wanted the tube(at least a good one anyway) in my signal path to truly warm my sound away from the digital harshness. I looked at the Averill Neve's & API's, but a friend of mine considered the option a little limited, having used them. Don't get me wrong, they sound amazing, but when you've got Manley and Focusrite on loan, the others seem to take a back seat. I couldn't get close to buying anything Focusrite, minus the platnium stuff, and the Manley is all tube. There you have it. Hope this helps...
Old 12-17-2000, 05:02 PM

Hey--I don't know what the VC1 is, but I use the Joe Meek V C 3--Single unit Pre--$300 at Guitar Center, and this baby Rocks Big!! Built in Compressor--Enhancer--with Q and Drive controls. I only use a Audio Tech 4033 and my Vx's are Crisp!!.. ...JT
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 12-19-2000, 08:27 PM

For what it's worth, I have a VC3Q, which apparently hasn't been out very long. Cost me about $600 (Australian) and instead of the enhancer it has a 3 band EQ. The preamp is sweeter and smoother than the 001, and the EQ sounds great and beats using the digi plugins.
You can't really slam the compressor and it sounds crap when you drive it (yes, I AM into that sort of thing), but its great for controlling level, and sounds quite smooth.

Jon
Old 12-21-2000, 02:36 PM

gosh, this is like pandoras box.cause if you got the manley then of course your gonna wanna get better a/d converters to connect on the spdif

im just starting out my daw in my livingroom but already ive spent enough $$$ to feed a west african village for a year.but hey......

im a year or two off from shelling out for the manley.considering that im a student, and always working my shedule to work as little as possible(i dont make a living with music....yet) my pre amp choices are on a much lower level

all i wanna know is the pre sonus stuff crap?is it worse than joe meek or better than art?(id hope it is)